Barred rock hen or roo?

lilnuggets

Songster
Nov 30, 2017
Tucson AZ
Hen or roo about 8 weeks old. Barred rock (I think..I have 2 barred rock and 2 dominique and honestly can't really tell them apart lol).

IMG_20181104_131821.jpg
IMG_20181104_124423287.jpg
IMG_20181104_122707107.jpg

The broader white stripes *indicate* cockerel... but I'm not sure I buy Rock or Dom... I almost feel like it's a sex linked Easter Egger cockerel or something... :confused:

Barred Rock should have a straight comb. Dominique will have a rose comb. It's interesting that in the first pic the other barred bird looking at us that is more typical of pullet coloring also has fluffy cheeks, not quite bearded but the waddles are a lot redder than the guy in question though her comb is still very pale.

What is you pretty guy with the beard that looks like a speckled Sussex in color? :love

I'm going with barn yard mix... where did they come from? :pop

The broader white stripes *indicate* cockerel... but I'm not sure I buy Rock or Dom... I almost feel like it's a sex linked Easter Egger cockerel or something... :confused:

Barred Rock should have a straight comb. Dominique will have a rose comb. It's interesting that in the first pic the other barred bird looking at us that is more typical of pullet coloring also has fluffy cheeks, not quite bearded but the waddles are a lot redder than the guy in question though her comb is still very pale.

What is you pretty guy with the beard that looks like a speckled Sussex in color? :love

I'm going with barn yard mix... where did they come from? :pop

I got them all at tractor supply. And the other one is (supposed to be) a Russian Orloff :)

That indeed is a barred rock not a dominique.

Id say its a roo based on the color pattern. You can tell the other 3 are females based on their dark feathering.

Ahh okay I was thinking roo as well just based on the color but wasn't 100% sure if the color is always a single of roo.

Here is a picture of showing all 4 the one in question is up Front
IMG_20181104_124404908.jpg

Ahh okay I was thinking roo as well just based on the color but wasn't 100% sure if the color is always a single of roo.

Here is a picture of showing all 4 the one in question is up FrontView attachment 1581435
Actually seeing the new pic it could easily be a pullet!

Color isnt always right males can have the darker barring if the parent stock wasnt pure barred rocks and only got 1 of the barring gene instead of 2 which makes the barring lighter.

It could easily be a puller after looking at the new photo!

Actually seeing the new pic it could easily be a pullet!

Color isnt always right males can have the darker barring if the parent stock wasnt pure barred rocks and only got 1 of the barring gene instead of 2 which makes the barring lighter.

It could easily be a puller after looking at the new photo!

Interesting. Maybe I'll give it another month and then post an updated picture.

Back
Top Bottom