Barred Rock Hen or Rooster?

Cockerel. BRs are sexable at hatch by coloring. The comb is not as large as most of my BR males at that age, however, the super light color says male. There is a very slight, slight chance of it being an extra light pullet, but I wouldn't bet on it. The only reason I even say that is the glare is too bad to see the iridescence of the saddle and hackle areas of a male.

Glare is really bad in the photo. You need natural lighting for good sexing photos in the future.

Last edited:
Cockerel. BRs are sexable at hatch by coloring. The comb is not as large as most of my BR males at that age, however, the super light color says male. There is a very slight, slight chance of it being an extra light pullet, but I wouldn't bet on it. The only reason I even say that is the glare is too bad to see the iridescence of the saddle and hackle areas of a male.

Glare is really bad in the photo. You need natural lighting for good sexing photos in the future.

x2 I couldn't say it better.
tongue.png

x2 I couldn't say it better. :p

I agree as well. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom