Barred Rock hen with weird skin condition

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Booker9725, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Booker9725

Booker9725 New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    Good afternoon,

I have a barred rock hen with a skin condition only on one side of her face. The other side is totally normal. The affected side is pale and puffy and her eye is half closed. I tried vetricyn gel, nutri drench and VetRx with minimal results. Today I tried antibiotic ointment, fungal cream and some cortisone. Not sure what else I can do. This has been ongoing for about a month.

Thanks you

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Isolate this chicken *immediately* away from the rest of your flock if you haven't already. Provide her own food and water.

Does her head smell funny?

Do you see any discharge, drainage, bubbly eyes?

Do you hear any wheezing, coughing, labored breathing, or sneezing?

It could be a symptom of a respiratory infection, in which case you'll need to track down some Tylan 50 injectable or Terramycin. Both should be available from your local feed store, or you can order it online. Ignore if it says only for use in whatever animal. You can use it for poultry.

Which one you get will determine the dosage.

Let us know!

MrsB

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Could you post a picture of the face of your chicken? What are her symptoms otherwise? Respiratory diseases are fairly common, but there are other illnesses that can affect the face. Pictures help very much. You may need to make 10 posts before you are allowed to post pictures, but keep at it.

4. Booker9725

Booker9725 New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    Thank you for the replies!

I do not have her separated. There are no other symptoms except for her rubbing that side of her face on her wing and head shaking here and there. No eye drainage, no smell, no weird poop and she's still laying. This has been slowly worsening over at least a couple months. It started with her lid looking pale and thickened...then her eye started closing. I thought it was an eye issue but now I'm realizing I think it's a skin issue or it has been a respiratory issue this whole time. I did the VetRx in the nose and throat for a week with no response and the nutridrench for support. So yesterday I did the ointments on her face and actually today she looks better. I will however be getting Tylan and tracking down some Terramycin.

What are some skin conditions be it fungal or otherwise chickens may get? The pic below is her bad side. Other side is normal. [​IMG]

5. Booker9725

Booker9725 New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Here is her good side. Thanks again everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by