Barred Rock - male or female?

DuckChick758

Chirping
Mar 10, 2023
Oregon
I got a barred rock (supposedly pullet), but I am worried that it's a roo, in which case I will not be able to keep him. I am new to chickens, so...what do I know? I have a mixed flock and this is the only Barred Rock I have, so I have none of the same breed to compare it to. It is feathering slower than the other breeds I have. The feathers seem on the darker side, which I am told indicates female, but its comb seems to be developing quicker. Should be about a month old at this point, and from a reputable distributor with a track record of accurate sexing...what do you guys think? Too early to tell? Behavior wise, this one is much flightier and active than the rest. Not very docile.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 10.00.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 10.00.16 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 10.00.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 10.00.31 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 40
Dang...I like the little guy, but if it is a cockerel, I'll have to rehome. At what point is it more certain to tell? Or is it pretty obvious at this point?

I got a barred rock (supposedly pullet), but I am worried that it's a roo, in which case I will not be able to keep him. I am new to chickens, so...what do I know? I have a mixed flock and this is the only Barred Rock I have, so I have none of the same breed to compare it to. It is feathering slower than the other breeds I have. The feathers seem on the darker side, which I am told indicates female, but its comb seems to be developing quicker. Should be about a month old at this point, and from a reputable distributor with a track record of accurate sexing...what do you guys think? Too early to tell? Behavior wise, this one is much flightier and active than the rest. Not very docile.
looks like a cockerel 😯🙃🐔

Back
Top Bottom