Barred rock Mom Buff Orphington Dad

Jul 11, 2017
Maine
I wanted to share these photos of my new baby chicks I have two buff orphington purebred chicks and then I have this one barred rock that was mixed with a buff orphington and I don't remember what barred rocks look like is infant sick so I don't know if it will just turn out looking like a regular one or if it might have some yellow Hues to it but I think he looks pretty cool so far

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 8
Congratulations on that pullet. A Buff Orp rooster over a BR hen makes a black sex link. Since there is no head spot you have a girl.

Yes, please post photos when it grows up, maybe even a few as it grows. In theory that cross should give you a solid black pullet, but Buff often does some weird things to Black. You are highly likely to get some yellow or even orange feathers or parts of feathers. Sometimes that is random feathers, sometimes blotches. It's often very striking.

Yes, that's a female black sexlink there. She'll have a black body and a ton of yellow over her head, neck and chest. I did that cross myself once :)
The interesting thing is that none of my Buff/Barred chicks had headspots at all, male nor female. But, the males had very pale yellow faces, and the females had darker red faces, so they were still sexable.

Congratulations on that pullet. A Buff Orp rooster over a BR hen makes a black sex link. Since there is no head spot you have a girl.

Yes, please post photos when it grows up, maybe even a few as it grows. In theory that cross should give you a solid black pullet, but Buff often does some weird things to Black. You are highly likely to get some yellow or even orange feathers or parts of feathers. Sometimes that is random feathers, sometimes blotches. It's often very striking.
Ooooh I'm even more excited now. What's even cooler is she is my very ever first egg that hatched from my very first try at incubating

Yes, that's a female black sexlink there. She'll have a black body and a ton of yellow over her head, neck and chest. I did that cross myself once :)
The interesting thing is that none of my Buff/Barred chicks had headspots at all, male nor female. But, the males had very pale yellow faces, and the females had darker red faces, so they were still sexable.
Never heard of head spots I'll need to google that and find a photo. Thanks for the info I'm in love with her

Never heard of head spots I'll need to google that and find a photo. Thanks for the info I'm in love with her
Usually a Barred Rock chick will hatch mostly black, with some white around the throat and underside, and a white spot on its black head. With black sexlinks, usually the males will still look just like that, with a white spot on their heads, but the females will not have one, the tops of their heads will be solid black.

Back
Top Bottom