Barred Rock Not Herself - any ideas?

smpringle

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2021
Hi - new chicken owner here and have my first hen that’s not acting normal. She’s a 6 month old Barred Rock who is usually super curious, active and pecking my ankles for food. Two days ago I noticed she wasn’t moving as fast, puffed up, and not her normal self. I thought maybe egg bound since she hadn’t started laying yet. She’s been drinking and eating on her own. Today, getting the coop ready for winter, we saw her lay her first egg in the run. After she laid she came out to free range in the backyard like normal. First poop we saw from her after egg was laid was super watery, white foamy with a tinge of green (see picture). She did eat arugula yesterday. She eats organic layer pellets. Now she’s back in the coop run just standing in one place. She’s usually the last one in when they get to free range. Any suggestions for me? We have 6 other hens of different breeds who are all acting fine and normal. Thank you!
9502D237-AF7C-4FB5-8DA8-F72B507109FC.jpeg
DC9B0261-1806-48E5-AAB1-C16F7F873B79.jpeg

Normally their poop becomes like that when they’re not eating or have some sort of internal bacterial infection going on. How’s her weight? Is she in lay yet? If so, has she laid any eggs recently? Check her for lice and mites. If she hasn’t been dewormed, I suggest deworming her in case or getting a fecal done to make sure that it’s not internal parasites affecting her.

Normally their poop becomes like that when they’re not eating or have some sort of internal bacterial infection going on. How’s her weight? Is she in lay yet? If so, has she laid any eggs recently? Check her for lice and mites. If she hasn’t been dewormed, I suggest deworming her in case or getting a fecal done to make sure that it’s not internal parasites affecting her.
Thanks for the response. She laid her first egg today. Saw her do it in the run because we had the coop closed for cleaning. Didn’t see any lice or mites on her. She hasn’t been dewormed but again only 6 months old. If I deworm do I deworm all 7 chickens?

Thanks for the response. She laid her first egg today. Saw her do it in the run because we had the coop closed for cleaning. Didn’t see any lice or mites on her. She hasn’t been dewormed but again only 6 months old. If I deworm do I deworm all 7 chickens?
I would

Hi - new chicken owner here and have my first hen that’s not acting normal. She’s a 6 month old Barred Rock who is usually super curious, active and pecking my ankles for food. Two days ago I noticed she wasn’t moving as fast, puffed up, and not her normal self. I thought maybe egg bound since she hadn’t started laying yet. She’s been drinking and eating on her own. Today, getting the coop ready for winter, we saw her lay her first egg in the run. After she laid she came out to free range in the backyard like normal. First poop we saw from her after egg was laid was super watery, white foamy with a tinge of green (see picture). She did eat arugula yesterday. She eats organic layer pellets. Now she’s back in the coop run just standing in one place. She’s usually the last one in when they get to free range. Any suggestions for me? We have 6 other hens of different breeds who are all acting fine and normal. Thank you! View attachment 2904617View attachment 2904618
Not sure but maybe bacterial infection?

Back
Top Bottom