Barred Rock or Black sex link?

dragonmorgan

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
South Alabama
We bought some chicks from our local feed store and got a couple different kinds, 2 of them are barred rocks. A week later we went back and got another barred rock and a few other chicks. The first 2 barred rocks I got are BR for sure but I was lookin through the threads here and saw one where someone thought they has a BR and everyone is thinkin its a black sex link. The feed store I got the chicks from didnt have any black sex links so I didnt think it could be anything other than a BR but now Im curious. Im hopin someone can help me out. Shes all black except a yellow butt and under her chin. Her legs are totally black except for one toe on each foot. She doesnt really have any feathers so I cant check for stripes. Heres a pic of her. Tell me what yall think.

And a picture of her feet. I even noticed one of her legs has 2 little fuzz feathers on it. Could this mean she will have one leg with a couple feathers when she grows up?

Im not the expert here but she may be a sex link. I always thought that BR had more yellow with a typical yellow spot on their heads. The white toes also make me think sex link. Hold out a little longer though before deeming her as sex link... she'll let you know
big_smile.png

No they didnt have any of those either. She came out of the same bin as the other barred rocks i got and i know there were actual BRs in the bin with her. I told DH she may not be a BR and that we may need to go back to the feed store for a couple more ;) lol. Ill give her another week or so and see what she looks like. Ill prolly post some more pics of her too. Hopefully itll be easier to tell then.

I dont think my feed store had any of those either. Barred rocks were the only black chicks they had. Or what was labeled as barred rocks since this one obviously isnt one lol. The good news is that I joking told DH that since she wasnt a rock we would need to go back and another one he agreed and even said we could pick up a few more chicks to give us an even 20 lol. Hes my enabler. Ill post some more pics of her this weekend since we will be a little older and maybe itll be easier to tell what she is.

I am almost thinking your feedstore ordered straight run black sexlinks and labeled them barred rocks, so some chicks looklike barred rocks(males) and any that are solid black like that one are female. That could be the case too.

Feedstores don't always know what they are selling..... last time I was down in the US and bought feedstore chicks they tried very hard to sell me splash andalusians as dark brahmas... and I could not convince them otherwise.

Yea the guys that work there are obviously not chicken pros. If we go back to get more BRs is there any way to tell the male sex links from actual barred rocks? Im afraid i may already have enough roos. Im guessin that at least 4 of my 17 are roos.

It's not really the feed store - it's the hatchery that "oops-ed" - lol. I had it happen to me - fortunately I love my Austrolorps - they are terrific in our desert climate! Great layers and mommas to! I have a hen that was suppose to be a BSL and that's what the bin at the feed store said - and now she is built like my sex links, and marked quite a bit like my BR - so I haven't a clue lol..... And she looked like the pics of BSL I've seen to. Ha!

Back
Top Bottom