Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans chick?

JennCrow10

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 6, 2016
East Texas
Picked up this little one from an unmarked bin at Atwoods the other day. Any clue as to what it might be? I'm thinking Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans but I'm not sure. Also, male or female? Please help!

Cute little cuckoo Marans pullet.

My hatchery cuckoos don't lay the spectacular dark eggs like the black coppers, but they're a few shades darker than my Rocks and Australorps, sex links, etc. Enough I can tell the difference, and makes the carton look just a bit prettier IMO
smile.png

I know Marans are supposed to have some feathering on their feet but this is a hatchery chick and I believe most hatchery Marans don't have feathered feet.

barred rock you can tell because it doesnt have feathering on the feet
...its too young to tell the gender
Actually, quite a few hatcheries only have clean-legged Marans.
Too young to really tell skin color at this point, but it looks more pink than yellow. Probably a Marans, and with just the faintest hint of barring, most likely a pullet.

Those toes do look pink at this age so it's not easy to tell breed. Marans are white skinned so will show pink/white around toes. Plymouth Rock are yellow skinned, legs and feet are yellow. Dark wash on front of legs is strong indicator of pullet. Being from a feed store bin and hatchery likely vent sexed as pullet. Don't forget there is another barred breed- Dominique. Yellow legs and rose comb.

Agreed with 1655ot. All of my cuckoo marans crosses have way more white on their head than that one. But, then again, mine are only crosses and I didn't have my Cuckoo Marans roo as a chick. I love your chicks deep black color. It reminds me of velvet.

Back
Top Bottom