Barred Rock or Dominique?

Dominiques have a rose comb. This bird has a (mostly) straight comb. It's not a marans, legs are wrong color.

yep, dominiques have a rose comb and barred rocks have a straight comb. Our barred rock girls had dark legs like that when they were young too.

The legs lightened and yellowed as they got older. It almost looks like a cross between a barred rock and something else though. Does it really have a beard or is that just an illusion?

it's the barring that doesn't look right for a pure barred rock. it maybe a marans. depends on what color the legs turn to whiteish will be a marans and yellow a barred rock.

i do not see a beard on this bird

I would say a barred rock mix and it looks like a rooster to me here are some pictures of my barred rock mix rooster when he was young.

these are pictures of my barred rock rooster starting from age 3 to 4 weeks al the way up till yesterday of 15 to 16 weeks. I hope these picture helped.
below is a picture of a saddle feather from him. The point of it is what shows he is a rooster. Hens have rounded feathers. But your chicken may still be too young for these kinds of feathers to be coming in just yet.

these photos you sent me put a smile on my face! lol So very handsome!! just about identical pics of my little one.growing up lol. thank you so much for sharing...

It looks like a Dominique to me. I have 4 Dominique pullets, 1 Dominique cockrel and 1 Barred Rock hen. Yours definately has the softer looking wider bars of a Dominique pullet. The Dominique roo with have a longer tail, more white in his barring, and a v-shapped barring in the tail... atleast mine does.
no this bird has a single comb so not a dom

is this a barred plymouth like i was told? ive never heard of the other breed your talking about and i cant tell who is laying a medium sized deep brown egg either the plymouth or the golden comet behind her in the pic so if anybody has any pics of eggs from barred plymouths or golden comets or knows is mines for sure a plymouth i would appreciate it thanks

A Dominique looks similar to a BR, but the Dom has a slightly different body shape, or should. They also have rose combs, while the BR has a single comb. Cannot tell from your photo which your bird has. The reality is that the birds have very likely been mixed to a great extent over the last century. Finding true bred Doms or true bred Barred Rocks is not a simple task, frankly.

Also, a Cuckoo Marans sometimes confuses people too. The Marans is cuckoo, (flecked) not barred and will have white, not yellow legs.

Your Golden Comet (an intentional mix or hybrid) is likely to lay first, and will lay an egg that is darker, as a rule.

is this a barred plymouth like i was told? ive never heard of the other breed your talking about and i cant tell who is laying a medium sized deep brown egg either the plymouth or the golden comet behind her in the pic so if anybody has any pics of eggs from barred plymouths or golden comets or knows is mines for sure a plymouth i would appreciate it thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom