Barred rock pullet being mean

4Urbanchix

Chirping
Mar 23, 2021
Northern California
I have three 11 week old pullets. 2 barred rocks and 1 black Australorp. I used to have a buff Orpington but he was a male so i rehomed him about 2 weeks ago. They were raised together since the day I got them and they never had any aggression problems. I noticed that after the rooster was gone, the pullets were less nervous and they just seemed more relaxed. The rooster was the one that riled them up.These past 2 days however, I’ve noticed one of my barred rocks is being kind of mean to the other 2. My black Australorp had a teeny tiny red spot on her comb and I’m not sure if it was my barred rock who did it or if it’s not even a scab. The barred rock kind of chases the other two and squawks. Should I be worried about this behavior or is it normal?

I have three 11 week old pullets. 2 barred rocks and 1 black Australorp. I used to have a buff Orpington but he was a male so i rehomed him about 2 weeks ago. They were raised together since the day I got them and they never had any aggression problems. I noticed that after the rooster was gone, the pullets were less nervous and they just seemed more relaxed. The rooster was the one that riled them up.These past 2 days however, I’ve noticed one of my barred rocks is being kind of mean to the other 2. My black Australorp had a teeny tiny red spot on her comb and I’m not sure if it was my barred rock who did it or if it’s not even a scab. The barred rock kind of chases the other two and squawks. Should I be worried about this behavior or is it normal?
Yup, I agree with what’s been said. My australorps have always been on the lower end of the pecking order. Our barred rocks that we have had have always been very friendly, but there has always been 1 near or on the top of the pecking order. And each time we lost or re-homed a roo, that’s when they made their accent to the top!

Back
Top Bottom