Barred rock pullet?

Penelope22

In the Brooder
May 7, 2022
Just got this beautiful 8 week old barred rock pullet because of the pretty grey feathers. Now I'm wondering if I got a roo because it is so light. Comments please???

Attachments

• 20230629_124031.jpg
    20230629_124031.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230629_135745.jpg
    20230629_135745.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230629_135749.jpg
    20230629_135749.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230629_135659.jpg
    20230629_135659.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 30
Darn. I should have looked more carefully instead of just wanting the pretty one. Luckily they take back roos for a small rescue donation. He will get a good home.
Just curious, is it the comb size at 8 weeks, feather color or both that indicates cockerel? The waddles didn't seem that big to me. I guess I was hoping for a magical beautiful grey pullet. Can you tell I'm already attached and looking for an excuse to keep. I'm just not allowed roos. Stupid laws need to change.

Just curious, is it the comb size at 8 weeks, feather color or both that indicates cockerel? The waddles didn't seem that big to me. I guess I was hoping for a magical beautiful grey pullet. Can you tell I'm already attached and looking for an excuse to keep. I'm just not allowed roos. Stupid laws need to change.
Keep it. Assuming it’s a he (which he probably is), he may or may not start to crow loudly, frequently, or obnoxiously. Or he may be quiet and fine. Most townships (mine included) don’t allow Roos but only enforce if someone complains. That may not happen. I’m not saying deliberately piss off the neighbors, most won’t care. In fact in my township with my zoning ordinances, two neighbors directly across the street have Roos. Theirs are perfectly “legal”, mine may… not… be….

Next step (again my township) if someone complains, you get informed of the rules and a warning.

This is the point you have to make a serious decision. You can rehome or cull the bird, or undertake a serious and meaningful campaign to get your township/county rules changed.

I’m grateful I haven’t had to make that choice.

Sorry, this is all assuming you REALLY want to keep the roo

Thanks for your response. I would hate to rehome any pet and I have a lot. My city finally accepted chickens a few years ago but only allow 5 hens. And they made the coop placement laws so restrictive that you have to own an estate (and I dont) to be in compliance. If I got a complaint about a roo, I might lose all my ladies. So sad. I will definitely not give him up unless he is going to live out his life. I've only had him for 5 hours and I feel strongly about it.

Back
Top Bottom