Barred rock pullets laying in winter.

Padorna23

Chirping
Oct 19, 2020
New Jersey
Hey guys this is my first time with chickens this winter. I have 4 barred rock hens that are 18 weeks old. Do you think I will see any eggs this winter? I’ve heard mixed things, some say they will lay in the winter others say they will wait until the days get longer. What is your experience with barred rocks laying in the winter at this age? Their combs and waddles are getting slightly bigger and more red but they are not squatting yet.

Hey guys this is my first time with chickens this winter. I have 4 barred rock hens that are 18 weeks old. Do you think I will see any eggs this winter? I’ve heard mixed things, some say they will lay in the winter others say they will wait until the days get longer. What is your experience with barred rocks laying in the winter at this age? Their combs and waddles are getting slightly bigger and more red but they are not squatting yet.
You have 4 PBR pullets. They may start laying before spring but they are still young. The days are going to start getting longer in three days.

My just over 2.5 year old PBR hen provided me with an egg yesterday. She molted in October and took November off too. She's not at top production but that's fine. They are good producers during winter as are Black Australorps.

Back
Top Bottom