Barred Rock Roo question

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
Ok, here is my 9 month old BR, he has gotten to testing me, some days he is fine, other days, i have to keep a close eye on him so i don't have him try to flog me, he has 5 girls, is aggression from hormone overload, and will he settle down? i really want to trust him- but, there are times i am just ready to rehome him- suggestions?

24037_rooy.jpg

24037_rooroo.jpg

We "had" a beautiful barred rock roo named Dudley. We converted him to Gumbo after numerously chasing the grand-daughter and then attacked the wife twice. He started out "nice" but as he got older 9-10 months or so he started to get antsey any time we went into the back yard. They are good protecting Roos, but he probably won't get mellow. I hear it's a crap shoot, some Roos are mellow, some aren't

Chase him around with a broom or a rake, everytime he comes near & he will mellow towards you.
once you put him in his place as below you.
It might take a bit, if you have allowed him to get away with his behavior.....

His colour is too light and the barring is not even or crisp enough.He does not have a good Rock shape & his legs are not the bright yellow they should be, by the look of the photo they are white.
David

thanks for the comments- well, when i let him out he watches close to me, sometimes his neck feathers come up and he will kick at me, other times he is fine- this last time he jumped at me i yelled at him, he and i were alone in the run, so i kicked him good, and since then he has given me some space when i am close, i have heard various things regarding working with him- holding him in clear view of his girls, that kind of thing to really getting in his face with broom etc- i really hope he settles down

My RIR roo tries to be boss.. every few days I have to remind him that I am the boss... he even attackes my kids soccer ball when they are playing... One day he stared at it for an hour ..I finally had to go remove the ball from the yard so he would go about his business

Being aggressive to an aggressive roo will not solve the problem. He willl always see you as competition, and whenever he thinks he might win, he will re-open the game. You need to convince him that you are neither competition not a danger, merely a benevolent giant that is as impossible to fight as if a large stone rock or tree or coop. He needs to see you as a provider of food and shelter and other good things for him and his ladies. browneggblueegg.com has an excellent article on Taming Roosters.

Back
Top Bottom