Barred Rock Roo question

Quote:
I have a wonderful Barred Rock Rooster, his name is Mace and he came from Speckledhen........ He is a reall sweetie and good to his girls.

i knew somebody a long time ago who had two huge dominiques, they also let their chickens free range and one day a coopers hawk tried to snag one of the smaller hens and before he could the two dominiques grabbed it by the wings and pulled it down till it flew away, true story, one of the few times i'v heard of chickens attacking a hawk. but they were ususualy good with people, i was 9 yrs old and they never bothered me.

Wow, thats incredible- all the reason to have them with the ladies- well, i went and printed the info on taming roos, will work from that angle, its funny about him, sometimes there is no problem, other times he is all attitude- warned my grandaughter about him, well, he waited and started after her- but she is a stubborn girl and thought i wasn't serious- well, we had another altercation- sigh- so i will working with him - it makes sense - aggression just breeds more aggression-

Quote:
I have a wonderful Barred Rock Rooster, his name is Mace and he came from Speckledhen........ He is a reall sweetie and good to his girls.

i have heard that some are quite docile but i have yet to see one

I had one, and game x barred roos, very calm/kind birds.

with the roos that did test me, my big lorp grew out if it or maybe it got through his head he would never win after I pulled out some of his tail feathers
wink.png
my little sebright would rather ride around on my head/shoulder then flog me most of the time. but there were days when he felt really good, until I picked him up, red just hated that he did not even want a ride by the time I put him down. I would put him up if I had friends over, or if he got in my way.

but you can do what ever you want, keep him, eat him, what ever.

I've had several fabulous BR roosters. Actually, they are my preferred breed as flock rooster. Not sure where all the mean ones are coming from, but really, it's a more individual thing than a breed thing. Zane is a sweetheart, affectionate even. Lockedhearts owns Zane's brother Mace and he is very non-human-aggressive, too. Dutch, their other brother, is still okay, though due to a situation that would take awhile to explain, he doesn't like me as much anymore, but he has never flogged me.

Once they start flogging behavior, it's almost impossible to break, IMO.

**oops, didn't see Karen's post above about Mace!

I'm really hoping that the info on the browneggblueegg.com will help, i can handle him in the evening, he'll relax and quit struggling, so i am hoping that is a sign he can be tamed... the grandkids are seldom out, so the chickens have never seen them before, so i'll keep them penned on those rare occasions- thanks for all your thoughts on this, i can be taught..
cool.png

he was a feed store chick, i was told he was a dominique- but after looking at pictures, what is the difference between a BR and the Dominique?

Back
Top Bottom