Barred Rock Roos??

vrock

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
These are my 3 Barred Rock Beauties. I am pretty sure the 2 lite ones are Roosters. They are 9 weeks here and I heard one of them crowing this morning, not sure which one though. Interestingly, the dark one is the most unfriendly one! What do you think??

Fooey I always forget this
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks :) Well now I have no idea what to do with 2 roosters. They are really tame because my kids and I have handled them since they were babies. I am hoping they stay friendly and don't get too protective of the ladies. Is there anyway to guarantee eggs don't get fertilized?

Thanks :)  Well now I have no idea what to do with 2 roosters. They are really tame because my kids and I have handled them since they were babies. I am hoping they stay friendly and don't get too protective of the ladies. Is there anyway to guarantee eggs don't get fertilized?
Only way is to not let the roosters near the hen, but you have a while before you have to worry bout that. Is there. Reason you don't want fertilized eggs. It makes no difference for eating.

Why would it matter if the eggs are fertile? They taste the same, and do not have chicks until they are incubated.

Both lighter ones are roos. The girls are usually more skittish than the boys at this age. It will improve once she starts to lay.

Thanks everyone, I wasn't sure on if there were any differences once an egg is fertilized. Good to know! Thanks!

I actually have 5 chicks 2 buff orpingtons too so if I did get rid of the roos my barred rock wouldn't be lonely. I don't think I will get rid of them unless they become mean and start attacking my kids. We had a rooster once who was MEAN and he wouldn't let us anywhere near the coop or his hens.

Back
Top Bottom