Barred rock rooster too big for hens.

Mar 29, 2022
Hey guys! I got 15 baby chickens a couple of months ago. I took 10 and my neighbor got 5. My neighbor ended up with 3 hens and 2 roosters, the roosters crow very loudly so they are for sure roosters. I got 9 hens and maybe a rooster. The thing is that he won't crow so I am not sure. He looks roosterish and acts roosterish but doesn't make a sound. Now to my problem. He is already 15 lbs while the hens are 4-6lbs. When he mates with them, he is so huge, that he squashes them and I'm afraid He will hurt them. The worst part is that he goes for the smallest chickens. The hen's arent even laying yet, is that a problem? I have some adult chickens I could move him in with, but they can be mean to him and he really loves his flock. I don't want to rehome him as he is a Barred rock and would undoubtedly be dinner. What should I do?

Hey guys! I got 15 baby chickens a couple of months ago. I took 10 and my neighbor got 5. My neighbor ended up with 3 hens and 2 roosters, the roosters crow very loudly so they are for sure roosters. I got 9 hens and maybe a rooster. The thing is that he won't crow so I am not sure. He looks roosterish and acts roosterish but doesn't make a sound. Now to my problem. He is already 15 lbs while the hens are 4-6lbs. When he mates with them, he is so huge, that he squashes them and I'm afraid He will hurt them. The worst part is that he goes for the smallest chickens. The hen's arent even laying yet, is that a problem? I have some adult chickens I could move him in with, but they can be mean to him and he really loves his flock. I don't want to rehome him as he is a Barred rock and would undoubtedly be dinner. What should I do?
It is extremely doubtful that in “a couple of months” you have a 15 lb rooster. First, under one year he’s a cockerel. Second, not many chickens actually reach 15 lbs at all, let alone before a year old. Although, I did recently watch an episode of Judge Judy and the plaintiff was describing a rooster attack and swore that the under a year old “rooster” (cockerel) was “at least 30 lbs” and, in fact, jumped all the way up to her arm to attack her….. that would certainly be a unique rooster. Maybe your rooster is just very heavily feathered.

Although, I did recently watch an episode of Judge Judy and the plaintiff was describing a rooster attack and swore that the under a year old “rooster” (cockerel) was “at least 30 lbs” and, in fact, jumped all the way up to her arm to attack her…..

Do you remember what episode and season that was?
My mom enjoys Judge Judy, I'm sure she would love to watch a chicken episode 😅

OP, to your question, I agree with @sourland that you should move him as soon as possible. Young cockerels are often extremely clumsy, and if he weighs more he could injure or even kill one of your pullets by accident.
The older hens will teach him manners and are unlikely to inflict much damage on a large cockerel. If he does suffer injury, you can fashion him a nice cockerel jail where he can see but not touch the ladies. It's a good way to teach the boys to lure girls over, rather than pouncing on them.

Do you remember what episode and season that was?
My mom enjoys Judge Judy, I'm sure she would love to watch a chicken episode 😅

Its whatever Judge Judy show is on Netflix right now. - I watched it a couple of weeks ago. Not exactly sure the episode, though. Lady cleaned house for guy bc her son lived in this guy's home as a renter of one bedroom, so she was coming around there anyway, and the case is about her seeking compensation due to injury from the rooster while she worked. Funny enough, this guy only had a rooster bc the "sexed pullets" he bought were not all pullets, and he did generally keep them in a coop and run I recall. Now your mom will have to watch it to see who won.

Get a bantam rooster.
Already have one! He's so mean and aggressive!! Love him to pieces though
240967222_340677611181416_762233685438636367_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom