Barred rock rooster too big for hens.

That's exactly what's happening. I feel bad for him because it's just his nature and it's not on purpose. He loves his hens and they used to be the sweetest together, but now they run to the other side of the coop when he gets near. I will post some pictures for comparison. I definitely want to keep him as we are having a hawk, owl, or osprey problem and a huge rooster will help. Thanks for all the info!
Don't worry. Your flock will recreate it's order. They will mingle together again soon. Once your girls are receptive, it will get better. I was feeling the same way. But they have figured it out. They are back to a happy flock. ♥️

Odds are he's just very fluffy. I have an Asian black male that is a year and change old and I don't think he's quite 15 pounds (probably closer to 10-12), and he is secured to be large like that. Your barred rocks are not at all that same weight class, especially if they came from a hatchery
I just caught him (he is very hard to catch) and he does have a lot of feathery down. In fact he actually feels a little boney and skinny. I want him to gain weight but I don't want him to get heavier for the girls.

I'm assuming you have them as pets. You will need to find some way to separate him if he as as large as you say. But I will tell you ( owning a young cockerel myself) that his mating tactics will be quite aggressive until he figures it out. I doubt he will injure them unless he is massive (and pictures will help here). It will look quite awful as he works it out. He will grab them by their necks and if they are not ready, they will resist. There's lots of yelling and running. Sometimes a few feathers will fly. I would intervene if it went on too long. As he has gotten the hang of it and my girls are receptive it's much less chaotic. I hope this helps. If you have any concerns about your hens and being injured, separate him for now in view of the girls so he isn't lonely. That's not a permanent solution. You will need to decide whether he stays or goes. But that is only a decision you can make.
Luckily, some of the hens are learning to duck under him if they are smaller.

I have raised Barred Rocks for years roosters rarley reach 10 lbs..though they can seem quite large..true BR Hens are about 7-8lbs..(Though I have seen smaller crosses from farm stores) I would trim his spurs or cap them til the hens catch up..so he doesn't injure the smaller hens. The spurs can create quite nasty wounds..esp. if he has a favorite hens that he " mates" a lot.. I would be more concern about he feeling skinny...so I would after they go in their pen at night..place him within a smaller pen in the pen..say a dog crate ..make sure he has a perch. Also add water and more importantly feed..a good flock raiser JUST to make sure he's getting the feed he needs. Let him out with the girls in morning..This way he gets to eat before He gets to busy being a roo ...or feed him in the morning if your worried about food in pens at night..but usually he would be too busy worrying about girls to eat in the morning.

I have raised Barred Rocks for years roosters rarley reach 10 lbs..though they can seem quite large..true BR Hens are about 7-8lbs..(Though I have seen smaller crosses from farm stores) I would trim his spurs or cap them til the hens catch up..so he doesn't injure the smaller hens. The spurs can create quite nasty wounds..esp. if he has a favorite hens that he " mates" a lot.. I would be more concern about he feeling skinny...so I would after they go in their pen at night..place him within a smaller pen in the pen..say a dog crate ..make sure he has a perch. Also add water and more importantly feed..a good flock raiser JUST to make sure he's getting the feed he needs. Let him out with the girls in morning..This way he
don't let him near your face. love can blind.
If I do he will problobly eat me haha

Hey guys! I got 15 baby chickens a couple of months ago. I took 10 and my neighbor got 5. My neighbor ended up with 3 hens and 2 roosters, the roosters crow very loudly so they are for sure roosters. I got 9 hens and maybe a rooster. The thing is that he won't crow so I am not sure. He looks roosterish and acts roosterish but doesn't make a sound. Now to my problem. He is already 15 lbs while the hens are 4-6lbs. When he mates with them, he is so huge, that he squashes them and I'm afraid He will hurt them. The worst part is that he goes for the smallest chickens. The hen's arent even laying yet, is that a problem? I have some adult chickens I could move him in with, but they can be mean to him and he really loves his flock. I don't want to rehome him as he is a Barred rock and would undoubtedly be dinner. What should I do?
I'm glad I came across this. I have 23 hens and 3 roosters. One is huge (and just gorgeous). 17 of the hens are the same age as Mr. Silver: 8 months, and it does look as if he's squishing them as he literally stands on their backs to mate. And worse, my 2 year old Brahma ladies are absolutely terrified of him and spend their day "hiding" in the chicken tractor where Mr Silver is too tall to get to them.
After reading the responses here, I'm leaning towards culling him. I've had many roosters in the past, and it's always sad to have to cull, but I have to consider the health and happiness of the hens. And this just occurred to me: if my Brahma girls ( they're big) are terrified of him, something is wrong.
So thank you all for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom