Barred Rock Rooster x Easter Egger

Does the EE pullet/hen lay blue or green eggs?
If so, 50/50 chance of a blue shell gene passing.
If it does, female offspring would lay green eggs, but probably not dark enough to call 'olive'.

Will not the brown egg color imparted by the barred rock interacting with the blue egg allele cause olive? I assume the barred rock sire is homozygous for brown eggs and the EE is homozygous for blue or green. Resulting offspring will be heterozygous for both brown and colored. Brown is dominant over base white.

Will not the brown egg color imparted by the barred rock interacting with the blue egg allele cause olive? I assume the barred rock sire is homozygous for brown eggs and the EE is homozygous for blue or green. Resulting offspring will be heterozygous for both brown and colored. Brown is dominant over base white.
There are only blue and white shells.....and only a couple genes control that.
The green comes from a brown coating on a blue shell.
There are a plethora of brown coating genes....combinations of which make anywhere from a barely brown egg to a very dark brown egg(on a white shell).

If the offspring get a blue shell gene.....yes, the brown coating from the BR cock will create green eggs.
How dark that brown is will determine if the egg can be called olive or 'just' green.
Tho the range of hue called 'green' can range from 'mint' to 'dark olive'......it can be highly subjective.
There are as many shades of green eggs as there are of brown eggs.
A fine line between an EE and an OE, all subjective to whim and marketing...tho all OE's are basically EE's.

I would think that a darker egg, such as a Maran egg could influence a color closer to the olive color, but more likely to be olive if crossed over a mint or light green egg.

A barred rock is closer to a tan color...so if the egg is blue it could be anywhere from a mint or an aqua color to an army type green...but it would likely be somewhere closer to the mint green.

And yet, genes can be tricky and not do what you think they will. I had a red hen produced by a BLRW rooster over blue Ameraucana hen. I expected green eggs-she hatched from a very nice blue egg-but she laid brown eggs. Odd stuff happens with genes when you least expect it.

Generally, if the EE lays a green or blue egg, she carries a blue egg gene, but may not pass it on. I have made that BR x EE and BR x Ameraucana cross often. All the ones I had did lay green eggs, but then, there's always the mystery that pops up from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom