Barred Rock Rooster x Olive egger hen (chick sexing)

ThemysteryEfiles

Hatching
Mar 5, 2022
Hi. I have a barred rock rooster that has bred with my olive egger hen (as well as my saphire gem and wyandotte). I am trying to get a hen that lays darker green eggs. The mother hen lays a beautiful minty green colored eggs. I have incubated a few eggs already.

Only one has hatched so far...and that one is from the olive egger hen. My question is can these chicks still be sexed early on based on the same principles of sexing the pure bred barred rocks? Pictures of the chick below. I am thinking it is a hen from my research but I am new to this whole chicken genetics thing.

I have another chick that is either olive egger hen or wyandotte hen that is in the process of hatching (it has pipped). I also have one that should hatch today that is from my saphire gem hen. The rooster for all is the barred rock. I wonder what they all will look like. Probably will all be barred since it is a dominant trait, but I'm interested to see what these new little ones will be.

Thanks,
E

Attachments

• IMG-4955.jpg
    IMG-4955.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-4956.jpg
    IMG-4956.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 17
You won’t be able to tell like you can with barred Rocks because from this cross both males and females will have 1 copy of barring. In barred Rocks, males have 2 which achieved the larger head spot.

Only one has hatched so far...and that one is from the olive egger hen. My question is can these chicks still be sexed early on based on the same principles of sexing the pure bred barred rocks?
Does the Olive Egger hen have barring?
If she does, then you might be able to sex them the same way Barred Rocks are sexed (males have 2 copies of barring, so they get larger head spots and lighter legs, while females have 1 copy of barring so they have smaller head spots and darker legs.)

If the Olive Egger hen does NOT have barring, then you will not be able to sex the chicks that way. All chicks will get 1 copy of barring from their father, and both genders will look alike.

That only works if someone makes the correct cross, because it's based on the sex-linked gene for fast or slow feathering. If the father is fast feathering, and the mother is slow feathering, then the sons will be slow feathering and the daughters will be fast feathering.

Barred Rocks usually have slow feathering (breeding true in both sexes). With a slow feathered rooster, all chicks will have slow feathering, so they cannot be sexed that way. (They will all "look like" males, no matter what their actual gender.)

There are many articles on the internet about sexing chicks that way, and many of them skip the very important information that it DOES NOT WORK on most chicks!

Keep us updated! I want to see what they look like when they grow!!

I'm hatching some of the same exact cross breed so I wanna see what they might turn out as!!

The wings will not determine the sex.
Mine is the same age and they look almost identical. Mine is def a roo! His legs are thicker, his feathers look evenly cut straight across, his middle toe is a squatty body vs a pullets long skinny middle toe. People can naysay all they want but yes you can wing sex just as good as vent sex. A males tail feathers come in a bit later than the girls. The girls backsides are itching. He hasn't begun to grow tail feathers. I have 2 pullets the same age. My little roo is already telling them to come where the food is. He was just demonstrating how to dust bathe 🤣😂 although they're all 3 on a towel. I watch him watching my big rooster. He then attempts to teach the girls. If you're uncertain and really don't want a roo, nows the time to post it. Some prefer getting them small so they can be "raised with the flock" and know the sound and touch of their humans. Good luck!

Attachments

• JPEG_20220817_170830_1361635722675762456.jpg
    JPEG_20220817_170830_1361635722675762456.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom