Barred Rock Roosters babies

That is more what I would expect from a Leghorn or Leghorn-like hen.

Did you find any more empty eggshells? Or did you keep track of how many eggs of what color the hens were sitting on?

Is there a reason you didn't leave it with the hen?
Well, first if all, I found it under a hen who was not the mom, and when I tried to put it back under mom she pushed it out.

Well, first if all, I found it under a hen who was not the mom, and when I tried to put it back under mom she pushed it out.

That is an excellent reason to remove the chick :)

When you said you found it under "another hen" I wasn't sure if that meant another broody hen, or a hen that was not broody. It obviously makes a big difference!

That is more what I would expect from a Leghorn or Leghorn-like hen.

Did you find any more empty eggshells? Or did you keep track of how many eggs of what color the hens were sitting on?

Is there a reason you didn't leave it with the hen?
I honestly forgot to look for more empty shells, because I was too worried about the just hatched baby getting care. I do have it written down what eggs she had, so we will do a tally in a day or two.

That is an excellent reason to remove the chick :)

When you said you found it under "another hen" I wasn't sure if that meant another broody hen, or a hen that was not broody. It obviously makes a big difference!
It wasn't a hen I knew was broody at any rate. All of my girls are 1 year old, so I suspect we are all learning together. My instinct was to protect the wee one. I will post pictures soon. Fluffed out and up on it's feet, I feel optimistic.

The barred rock appears to be a BSL which is a mix. That may have something to do with the chick color as well.

The barred rock appears to be a BSL which is a mix. That may have something to do with the chick color as well.

I wasn't sure about the breed of the rooster from the photo, but I agree about the effect on chick color.

For a pure Barred Rock rooster, ALL chicks should have white barring.
For a Black Sexlink rooster, about half of chicks should have white barring.
So if there are any chicks with no barring, that proves the rooster is not a pure Barred Rock.

A Black Sexlink rooster also has the chance to sire red or gold chicks, depending on the mother, which a Barred Rock rooster cannot do.

Back
Top Bottom