1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock-tread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Robert McGaughey, Oct 27, 2010.

1. [​IMG] [​IMG]Hey everyone I'd like to see alot of pics of this wonderful breed, chicks, pullets, cockerels, hens and roosters. I'd like to see them all. [​IMG] Thank you.

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ok this is my boys
    [​IMG]

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My new additions! Barred rock chicks-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    This is my boy, the Lone Rooster.

I had multiple roosters in different breeds. I finally got down to a Buff Orpington and a Barred Rock. Both alpha types. The BO beat up the BR three days in a row. I felt badly for the BR and removed him to the chicken tractor.

Now he has his own run with temporary housing (that he sleeps on top of instead of inside of)...in about two weeks he gets his own coop in his run that hopefully he will sleep in. He has five girls in quarantine and I really think he knows they are for him. Three pullets and two hens. Hopefully when the time comes the transision will be smooth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    bburn- he is gorgeous!

6. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    PureSnowChic....thanks...I really like him and think he is very handsome. I couldn't get rid of him or let him be second roo.....so I bought him some girls for his own! I am in hopes to get some good chickies out of him in the spring.

There were two of him....him and his brother. I sold his brother (well, my husband thinks I did....I just wanted him to be in a good home..lol) so now he lives on a farm in the country where the rooster they had died. He is very happy with his six girls.

I just hope when the time comes and it is time to introduce the Lone Rooster to his girls that things go kinda smooth. I am a bit of a weanie....I just want them to all get along and be happy. Amazing what it did to the flock when I removed him and the calmness that came over the flock. The BO made a good roo and the girls are all happy.

Hoping for the same with the second flock.....

This chicken math is starting to get out of control.....

LOL>.....just looked at the picture and saw the beach towel hanging over the gate....you know when your husband is working out of state you do what you have to do to get by....or maybe it is the beachy theme I am going for....after all the Lone Rooster is standing on the Chicken Cabana that I designed and made myself (what a project!)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  7. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Mine are only 7 w/o but here they are with their coop mates Partridge Cochin pullets

[​IMG]

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    what a handsome fellow! He looks so proud!
    Quote:

9. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Quote:
    It is amazing what two weeks in the chicken tractor by himself did for his disposition! Now in the new run with the Chicken Cabana and the 'Dog House' coop that he sleep on instead of in he probably thinks he won the lottery!!

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My new roo took about 3 months to get dominant over all his girls, lots of bickering and a little fighting, but it was worth it because now he is a wonderful guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by