Barred Rock vs Dominicker

smack.gif

Me, I'm just hardnosed enough to always correct them, though. Local feedstore had a brooder full of "Domineckers", the label said. Well, every one had a single comb-all Barred Rocks. I told them and the lady asked if the comb changed when they grew, LOL. I even pulled a breeds book off their display and showed her a picture of the difference. She still thought the hatchery wouldn't label them wrong, even when I told her I was a breeder of Barred Rocks.
roll.png

Local feedstore had a brooder full of "Domineckers", the label said. Well, every one had a single comb-all Barred Rocks. I told them and the lady asked if the comb changed when they grew, LOL. I even pulled a breeds book off their display and showed her a picture of the difference. She still thought the hatchery wouldn't label them wrong, even when I told her I was a breeder of Barred Rocks.

Same thing happened to me. I called the feedstore to see if the Dominique chicks they ordered for me were in. Went to go pick them up and they all had straight combs.
barnie.gif

Never forget the first time someone saw Xander, my Cuckoo Marans rooster. "Gosh, that Dominecker is HUGE! lol​

ya know what is really cool.....my 8.5 yr old son came in here today (I was showing him the great pic on her of a chicken laying an egg) and I told him...our barred rocks are really Marans. He said "Mom, we are learning more and more every day about our chickens, and chickens everyplace". And he is thrilled about it!!!
TY Cyn- I knew if ANYONE could give me great imput it would be you. I am thrilled to death anytime you or Angie (miss priss) comment on my comments....I hope to some day know just a fragment of what you two know....thank you, and my son REALLY thanks you!!!!
This is him(Coltin) in all his chicken happiness!!!
100_0009-9.jpg

Gosh, I love the picture of Coltin! I wish my boys had the chance to raise chickens when they were his age.

Oh, the rumors that I know everything are highly exaggerated.
wink.png
I just learned like the rest of you fine people.

Last edited:
By the way, dominekers were used in the making of barred rocks...domineques x javas. barred rocks were used in the making of cuckoo marans. so they all are related to some extent.
I bought some chicks from a hatchery in louisianna a couple of months ago, I was told they were barred rocks so i bought a few. One day i was comparing my known cuckoos with them noticing how much they looked alike when i noticed the legs (duhh) they had white legs also with a little black on front. Wham! i have more cuckoos unless my babies legs faded in the sun! i dont know about them hatcheries, the workers MUST need glasses.

our whole flock came from hatchery....that is fine by us...but not knowing anything about chickens when they came it's all been a quessing game. no matter where our flock came from we love them all the same...and any of the cochin mutts we hatch this Thursday we will love just the same!!!
pssst but I do have 4 pure buff cochin eggs in the bator!!!(something for Coltin to have for 4H)

By the way, dominekers were used in the making of barred rocks...domineques x javas. barred rocks were used in the making of cuckoo marans. so they all are related to some extent.

Certainly, they are related in that respect, but today, are separate breeds with their own standard, etc. And all those are great birds in their own right. Im just someone who likes to know what I have and what the difference is between the breeds. Mutts are fine, too, and I know there have been crosses between the breeds, thereby muddying the waters somewhat. However, a hatchery should know the difference and know what they're selling. Hopefully, all those chicks at the feedstore were just mislabeled and the hatchery doesn't really think they're selling Doms when they're selling BRs.

Good luck on those Buff Cochins for Coltin!​

i agree, those hatchery chickens lay just as tastey eggs as any other. I just put 2 1/2 dozen barred rock eggs in the bator 2 day. Also got my first olive green egg 2day.
My cuckoo maran went broody as is setting on approx 9 eggs. I didnt even know that cuckoos went broody.

Back
Top Bottom