Barred Rock vs Dominicker

Ugly Cowboy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
Corn, OK
Ok yall, is there a true difference between a Dominicker (aint sure if I'm spellin that right) and Barred Rocks?

wren

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2007
St Augustine, FL
Sure. Barred rocks have a more distinct pattern, single comb and are a fairly good dual purpose breed if memory serves.

Dominiques are an old heritage breed of chicken with a rose comb and probably are better at flying than Barred Rocks (less body weight).

mikarod

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Oklahoma
AAARRRGGG!!!!

Dominiques vs. Barred Rocks.

Dominecker is a general term that was used in "olden times" to describe birds with the barred pattern.

Dominiques have a rose-comb, less definition in their barring and are generally smaller. They lay brown eggs.

Barred Rocks have a single comb, are "blocky" and have straight lines going over their bodies on each individual feather. HOWEVER, hatchery stock can have similar lines to a cuckoo maran and dominiques. In this case, the comb is sometimes the only way to tell the difference between the two breeds (Dominique and Barred Rock).

Dominique:

Barred Rock:

Sorry...I just LOVE this Barred Rock....

Beekissed

Free Ranging
12 Years
Feb 14, 2008
This world is not my home.
Both of those boys are purdy!
I have the Domineckers
, as I find they have perky personalities and are good layers. I like the fact that they are a heritage breed also. Sweet, fat hens that lay pretty brown eggs...can it get any better? Well, except my big, blue roo, of course!

Sorry, must get in the bragging while I can....

Top Bottom