Barred Rock vs Dominicker

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ugly Cowboy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Ok yall, is there a true difference between a Dominicker (aint sure if I'm spellin that right) and Barred Rocks?

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Sure. Barred rocks have a more distinct pattern, single comb and are a fairly good dual purpose breed if memory serves.

Dominiques are an old heritage breed of chicken with a rose comb and probably are better at flying than Barred Rocks (less body weight).

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yes!!! [​IMG]

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    AAARRRGGG!!!!

Dominiques vs. Barred Rocks.

Dominecker is a general term that was used in "olden times" to describe birds with the barred pattern.

Dominiques have a rose-comb, less definition in their barring and are generally smaller. They lay brown eggs.

Barred Rocks have a single comb, are "blocky" and have straight lines going over their bodies on each individual feather. HOWEVER, hatchery stock can have similar lines to a cuckoo maran and dominiques. In this case, the comb is sometimes the only way to tell the difference between the two breeds (Dominique and Barred Rock).

Dominique:
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock:
    [​IMG]

Sorry...I just LOVE this Barred Rock....

5. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Ok thanks! That helps, I always just thought they was the same thing!

6. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Are they both related to a cockoo maran?
    They sure look alike [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope. Many birds have barring that aren't related. Cuckoo Marans have white legs. Doms and BRs have yellow-that's one big difference.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Both of those boys are purdy! [​IMG] I have the Domineckers [​IMG], as I find they have perky personalities and are good layers. I like the fact that they are a heritage breed also. Sweet, fat hens that lay pretty brown eggs...can it get any better? Well, except my big, blue roo, of course! [​IMG]

Sorry, must get in the bragging while I can.... [​IMG]

9. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by