1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

barred rock vs. Silver laved Wyandotte

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Anny, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Personality wise which one would you like more? A Barred Rock or a Wyandotte and why?

I've heard many good things about both. In your own opinion which would you say is a better pet chicken.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I would get both [​IMG]

3. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Sadly I can't I have to keep my numbers down. So I'm trying to pick between the two. I already have a Speckled sussex, RIR, Easter egger, and a Delaware. I'm planning on just getting two chicks. I really want another easter egger....and then the other chick will be either a silver laved wyandotte or a Barred Rock.

I guess it also depends on what people have too. Since I haven't found any with barred rock chicks right now.

4. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    I would go with a barred rock based on personality, but it very much depends on the bird! the rocks I've had have been nicer then the Wyandottes, but not by too much.

If you have cold winters, I would go with Wyandottes, they don't get frost bite nearly as easy! [​IMG]

5. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I do live in Michigan with pretty cold winters, and lots of snow.

6. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    I have both breeds. My Wyandottes are not as friendly, but nicer to look at in my opinion. They are both good layers, my SLW keep laying even when it's really cold with short days, doesn't seem to phase them. cv <--- that's from my dog, saying hi. LOL

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Rocks have more personality, generally, than Wyandottes. They are more curious and calm. I've had SLWs and a GLW as well as Barred Rocks. I just sold my two youngest SLW girls, though I'm keeping Violet, who is over 3 yrs old.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    My Wyandottes are very stand-offish. I like my BR enough that I bought more chicks and some cockerels this year to breed. They aren't as flashy as my gold-laced Wyandottes, but they are calm, sweet and good layers. Wonderful personalities.

I can't even touch my blue laced red Wyandottes. I won't get them again.

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Barrd rocks, they way more frendlier than wyndoots, I used to have SLW but I did not like them much, they laied very few eggs.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My wyandottes are very friendly birds, but they are not hatchery stock which I think makes a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by