Barred Rock???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Timbertoes, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Timbertoes

Timbertoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Martha at about 12 weeks
    Shouldn't she have yellow legs? Could she be something else? Picture is not the greatest, sorry.
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you get a pic of her comb...looks more of a cockoos marans with the unevan barring

3. Timbertoes

Jul 14, 2011
    Yes, thank you... I'll try to get a picture of her now, it'll be up-to-date as well
    l[​IMG]

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Are those legs pink with black wash down the front? Is the comb a single comb or a rose comb?

Maybe a dominique. Her coloring seems too light for a BR pullet, but dominique hens seem to have lighter coloring than BRs. Here are my Dominiques at 6 months. Notice how their overall coloring is so similar to the BR roo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  5. Timbertoes

Jul 14, 2011
    Yes, they are pink with black on the front and she has a single comb.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have gotten hatchery barred rocks that had pink legs. I dont know where it comes from genetically, but I have seen it. Im sure your girl is a barred rock.

7. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    She's a Barred Plymouth Rock and the females have light yellow legs with black on top. Mostly black with white bars. She's very pretty.

8. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Straight comb and pink/gray legs = Cuckoo Marans

Sounds like the hatcheries get them mixed together? The BR would have yellow beak and legs + straight comb, I think the dominique would have a rose comb + yellow legs?

9. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Also if she is a Cuckoo Marans, she has nicer color than most. On mine the lighter bars are a very dark gray, not as distinct.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

wood&feathers :

Straight comb and pink/gray legs = Cuckoo Marans

Sounds like the hatcheries get them mixed together? The BR would have yellow beak and legs + straight comb, I think the dominique would have a rose comb + yellow legs?

BR pullets can have pink legs if there is some other breed in their past. Once the pink legs appear, they can be hard to get rid of. I have a BR hen that has pink legs as well. She had BR parents with yellow legs. This can just happen. Does not mean she is a marans.

[​IMG]
    my hen.

If she is a cucko maran, you will be able to tell by the colour of her eggs. BR lay light brown to light pink eggs. Cuckoo Marans lay a dark chocolate brown egg.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by