Barred Rock???

Timbertoes

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Martha at about 12 weeks
Shouldn't she have yellow legs? Could she be something else? Picture is not the greatest, sorry.
100004_img_0884.jpg

Yes, thank you... I'll try to get a picture of her now, it'll be up-to-date as well
l
100004_img_5292.jpg

Are those legs pink with black wash down the front? Is the comb a single comb or a rose comb?

Maybe a dominique. Her coloring seems too light for a BR pullet, but dominique hens seem to have lighter coloring than BRs. Here are my Dominiques at 6 months. Notice how their overall coloring is so similar to the BR roo.

93695_img_1257.jpg

Last edited:
I have gotten hatchery barred rocks that had pink legs. I dont know where it comes from genetically, but I have seen it. Im sure your girl is a barred rock.

Straight comb and pink/gray legs = Cuckoo Marans

Sounds like the hatcheries get them mixed together? The BR would have yellow beak and legs + straight comb, I think the dominique would have a rose comb + yellow legs?

Also if she is a Cuckoo Marans, she has nicer color than most. On mine the lighter bars are a very dark gray, not as distinct.

wood&feathers :

Straight comb and pink/gray legs = Cuckoo Marans

Sounds like the hatcheries get them mixed together? The BR would have yellow beak and legs + straight comb, I think the dominique would have a rose comb + yellow legs?

BR pullets can have pink legs if there is some other breed in their past. Once the pink legs appear, they can be hard to get rid of. I have a BR hen that has pink legs as well. She had BR parents with yellow legs. This can just happen. Does not mean she is a marans.

IMG_0633-2.jpg

my hen.

If she is a cucko maran, you will be able to tell by the colour of her eggs. BR lay light brown to light pink eggs. Cuckoo Marans lay a dark chocolate brown egg.​

Back
Top Bottom