barred rock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swmommyto3, Oct 16, 2008.

1. swmommyto3

swmommyto3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    we ordered 12 (got 13) chix last week (all doing great) ordered 4 barred rocks got what looked like 5 now one of them is really standing out as different from the others, she has an all white chest, the others are all black still, has the white spot on head like the others but makes a funny trill noise not a peep. we're wondering if she really is a barred rock or if in giving us an extra one gave us something completely different? any thoughts???

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, my. You could have an early crowing rooster there. The trilling sound is a very early crow, usually. I've had several do that at a week old.

3. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    it does sound like a little cockeral. my barred rocks dont make normal chicken noises though, they like honk....

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Any pics so we can try to help you out ?????

5. MamaDragon

MamaDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Camden, AR
    Quote:I know with black sex-links, the white spot on the head indicates it's a cockeral.

Speckledhen?? is it the same with the barred rocks?? (since that's the female parent line, I'm not sure)

Kathy

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

With Barred Rocks, both sexes have the headspot, just a bit different from each other usually. And the cockerels are lighter overall, sort of silvery/frosty.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I've got just 1 BR and she honks, too! I just thought it was her, didn't realize it was a breed characteristic.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I've got just 1 BR and she honks, too! I just thought it was her, didn't realize it was a breed characteristic.

Oh great. [​IMG]
    I have 4 ricocheting off my brooder box as we speak. They're hyper active like I've never seen!!!

9. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like it could be a barred rock.

I have some mixed chickens, that have the same pattern as Barred Rocks and when they hatch they are all black etcept for a small patch under their beak, but when they feather they change.

Best of Luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by