Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Im in search for some Barred Rock Bantam hatching eggs, I know this is a forum about Good Shepard large fowl, thought some one might know a contact, I have some from Dick Horstman trying to find some to cross them with thanks

Thank you, Bob & Walt, for answering questions regarding these two lines of BRs. I will see if I can get a couple or trio of Marvin's birds later this year as Gene suggested. Now I know a little bit more of what to expect and what not to do. In the meanwhile, I have quite a few of the GSBRs growing up. My main concerns are the cost to feed them to the age where I can really tell which are best, the time and energy to do this and properly house the birds while they are growing, and cultivating a market for processed heritage chicken locally since there is no way the two of us can eat this much chicken.

Thank you, Bob & Walt, for answering questions regarding these two lines of BRs. I will see if I can get a couple or trio of Marvin's birds later this year as Gene suggested. Now I know a little bit more of what to expect and what not to do. In the meanwhile, I have quite a few of the GSBRs growing up. My main concerns are the cost to feed them to the age where I can really tell which are best, the time and energy to do this and properly house the birds while they are growing, and cultivating a market for processed heritage chicken locally since there is no way the two of us can eat this much chicken.
Or why don't you get in touch with Matt or Jeremy to see if they have a male with a tail(I'm a poet an didn't knowit)LOL they would sell you then you will still be in line with the same strain. I know these can be had in fact another who has some tails on the GS lines is Stan(tigercreek) on here, look at their stuff too. Is my suggestion. I think you will lose some size with the Stukel route and from the ones I've heard of growing the Stukels out to maturity takes EVEN LONGER to get there than do the forever and a day GSBRs. J/S
hmm.png
big_smile.png

Jeff

Last edited:
Or why don't you get in touch with Matt or Jeremy to see if they have a male with a tail(I'm a poet an didn't knowit)LOL they would sell you then you will still be in line with the same strain. I know these can be had in fact another who has some tails on the GS lines is Stan(tigercreek) on here, look at their stuff too. Is my suggestion. I think you will lose some size with the Stukel route and from the ones I've heard of growing the Stukels out to maturity takes EVEN LONGER to get there than do the forever and a day GSBRs. J/S
hmm.png
big_smile.png

Jeff

I am hoping that with all the ones I'm growing out, some will have good tails. My birds originated from Matt1616 who got them from Jeremy, so they are the same line. There's got to be some good ones in my growing birds
fl.gif
I do not want to lose size for sure, I kept the biggest males from last year out of 7 I raised, very impressive birds. Stukel's take even longer?? Yikes.

WILL try to keep this tread alive. Eggs this time of the year is near imposable. Breeders only keep their breeding pens going for three to four months then break them up. Many think we keep a male in a pen for twelve months gather the eggs and ship them off only hatcheries do this. I don't know anyone who ships bantam barred rock eggs other than Dick. He has a very good bantam strain and when you cross them you will destroy the genetic make up of the strain. If you just want them for looks no big deal. If you breed them to show you will go backwards as I call it Genetic Diversity breakdown.

Hope this helps. bob

Over on the HRIR thread they are talking about how docile their birds are. I am assuming that would make them easy to handle. My current flock from a commercial hatchery are any but that. I am making future plans that include pens for different purposes and if I don't have chickens that I can handle it is not going to happen, unless there are some secrets to handling birds that I don't know about. The GSBR comes from a large poultry farm, so I am thinking that they might be more difficult to manage. Any thoughts on that or suggestions in general on handling chickens?

Thanks,

mark

Over on the HRIR thread they are talking about how docile their birds are. I am assuming that would make them easy to handle. My current flock from a commercial hatchery are any but that. I am making future plans that include pens for different purposes and if I don't have chickens that I can handle it is not going to happen, unless there are some secrets to handling birds that I don't know about. The GSBR comes from a large poultry farm, so I am thinking that they might be more difficult to manage. Any thoughts on that or suggestions in general on handling chickens?

Thanks,

mark
I have found the GSBR's (Sturgeon's Ringlet strain) to be calm and very pleasant birds to be around.
They are big, easy going birds....but also excellent foragers and seem to almost be 'savvy' in their ranging and instinctual behaviors.
I have not personally experienced a broody GSBR hen yet, so I cannot speak to this skill.

I talked to Jamie Duckworth tonight and he still has some roos in with hens in his bantam pens. If you are looking for some bantam hatching eggs this would be your best bet at this point in the year. Give him a call.

Back
Top Bottom