Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Over on the HRIR thread they are talking about how docile their birds are. I am assuming that would make them easy to handle. My current flock from a commercial hatchery are any but that. I am making future plans that include pens for different purposes and if I don't have chickens that I can handle it is not going to happen, unless there are some secrets to handling birds that I don't know about. The GSBR comes from a large poultry farm, so I am thinking that they might be more difficult to manage. Any thoughts on that or suggestions in general on handling chickens?

Thanks,

mark
I have never had a email from anyone complain about the dominecker looking barred rocks from feed store befor but maybe fifty people complain about R I Reds from the feed store. Because of this they word out on the street is Rhode Island Reds males main inly are mean. Not true.

If you got a female that is a little hyper she should settle down when she lays her twenty egg or so. They cant help it its just the nature of the breeding more eggs more chicks more profit. Cant help they got to make a profit to stay in business I am sure they are hurting with this economy as well and feed prices. Jamie is a great guy he can help you on bantam eggs.

I have found the GSBR's (Sturgeon's Ringlet strain) to be calm and very pleasant birds to be around.
They are big, easy going birds....but also excellent foragers and seem to almost be 'savvy' in their ranging and instinctual behaviors.
I have not personally experienced a broody GSBR hen yet, so I cannot speak to this skill.
That sounds good. My birds have lots of free range and need to be "savvy". Can you walk up to them and pick them up? I can't do that with my birds. I don't think you would call them flighty, they just keep their distance. I guess taking birds off the roost at night would be one way to move them around. I know these are kinda stupid questions, but I have not figured this out yet.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Mark, there are a couple ways to move a group of birds. If you rattle can train them, they'll just about follow you anywhere. If mine hear that sound, they'll come a running and gather at my feet. If I'm standing in the new pen I want them in, well, they just moved themselves. LOL

All my birds cluster around me when I bring the feed bucket. Another opportunity to move them anywhere I wish. Pick them off the roosts at night? Perfect.

Different breeds react a bit differently. With our Reds, I can bend over and pick them up anytime. No so the Rocks. They aren't standoffish, but they aren't all fuzzy wuzzy about being clustered about my feet and waiting to be picked up either.
Our Rocks, anyhow, are much more chicken in the attitude. All they want to do is work, work, work.

Trapping them in a small stall or pen to dust is necessary.

Last edited:
That sounds good. My birds have lots of free range and need to be "savvy". Can you walk up to them and pick them up? I can't do that with my birds. I don't think you would call them flighty, they just keep their distance. I guess taking birds off the roost at night would be one way to move them around. I know these are kinda stupid questions, but I have not figured this out yet.

Thanks for your help.

Mark
Mark,
While they don't particularly like to be held, my GSBR's generally will let me pick them them up. They know when they see me more often than not, they will get some mealworm treats too. They have been handled though since youth...they get wormed and checked over regularly...I have bathed them in preparation for when it comes 'show time' this coming year, they will be used to it.I have mine to where I can 'herd' them with a long stick/cane too. I start when they are little...they learn after awhile that the stick means that they need to 'go home' aka go to their coop. If it's a different pen, then they may try to escape but with the long cane I can usually redirect them to the new one...especially if they see another bird eating some mealworms/reat oof the ground in the new pen. too tempting for them, so they 'fall in line'. Animals understand food rewards. they equate me with treats etc. so they are not fearful. I have 13 2-4 week old chicks right now. they will all run to me when I appraoach their pen. why? they know they are going to get something good to eat! I also go into their pen as chicks and just sit in there for awhile...they get used to me being around...they get their treats...they get handled a bit when I check them over...everybody wins.
My main 'requirement' in my birds is for a calm, sane bird... not necessarily one that 'wants' to be held but one who will at least tolerate it without a fuss. I also like that my Rocks are not noisy birds either. They have a delightful 'chatter' they will do amongst themselves that's low volume. they don't carry on with a 5 minute 'egg song' either. When Fred said they like to 'work, work, work' that's the truth. That's how their personality seems to be overall.

Thanks. I like the work ethic, especially combined with the big bodies. I have compost piles that need to be aerated and cover crops that need to be turned under. I think my current chickens would behave as you describe if I had worked with them like you have worked with yours. That's good advice! Thanks again for your help.

PS - My chickens perform an egg opera. It's getting a little old.

This is the male that got me excited years ago. Does anyone know the status of this male and his off sprig? Has any chicks filled out at age ten months say with a tail like this. I would be interested to see as I felt that if he had a tail like this and it did not distort latter at say 12 months this fault could be corrected. I still think by putting pressure on this section in time it can be corrected. What do you think out there any luck this year or last year? Bob

This is the male that got me excited years ago. Does anyone know the status of this male and his off sprig? Has any chicks filled out at age ten months say with a tail like this. I would be interested to see as I felt that if he had a tail like this and it did not distort latter at say 12 months this fault could be corrected. I still think by putting pressure on this section in time it can be corrected. What do you think out there any luck this year or last year? Bob
Bob, I believe this handsome male is Jeremy Woeppel's (Jwhip-BYC and XW Poultry Ranch in Nebraska). This one definitely will make your heart race.
big_smile.png
IMHO I agree that if one applied singularly applied breeding pressure to tails with this particular line, good tails could become the mainstay instead of the exception, since this line has everything else proven and already in place.
http://xwpoultryranch.com/ He also has SP bantam rocks, white dorkings, LF white rocks and New Hampshires.
He got his original Ringlet breeders years ago from Danny Williamson (APA judge and works with Frank Reese/Good Shepherd)
I have some females from his line. LOVE them. One has a good tail...the other has a little bit of a 'dump tail'. Can't fault them otherwise. Huge, vigorous and pleasant birds as well. He had a winning pullet at the Nat'l Plymouth Rock Meet a few years ago. Seriously considering getting a male from him to complete a trio in the Fall... now that I have 'test run' this line for living here in the desert southwest and living with these wonderful birds in general over the past year. Barred and Buff varieties will suit me just fine for years to come...hopefully I can get relocated to an acreage so that I can really have more room for this hobby. I am very limited right now...but it's a good way to get my proverbial 'feet wet' as a 'junior varsity' standard bred hobbyist, I suppose. I feel very fortunate to start with stock from Jeremy and Tom. I have had many breeds (some hatchery some standard bred) chickens all my life, but now I know this is something I am truly passionate about at 46 and settled into some nice birds
wink.png

I believe Kathy Bonham in Missouri has GSBR breeders direct from Jeremy's GSBR line. I am sure there's more around the country.

Cindy in AZ

The old guy is still around. If you purchased eggs or chicks from me this year there is a good chance you will have sons and daughters from that male.

I purchased some BRs from [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jeremy. And I just LOVE them! Not even one died and I have 5 roosters and 9 hens! I can't believe my luck!! THANKS Jeremy! I hope to put photos up soon but the roosters are still in the half unfeathered ugly stage. They have such beautiful barring :)[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom