Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

You asked so I was just trying to answer. Good luck

Thanks! I just was hoping to tell a little at hatch. I can with my BR from my GSBR roo. Most of what I hatched just seem to have a small spot. I can wait to know for sure
pop.gif
I just needed some more to work with. If they are all pullets I have a roo already and if there are some roos I will have some backups.
clap.gif

I got 3 dozen eggs from Frank. Last weekend hatched out 24 chicks. Lost 2 after hatch (one got trampled in the incubator, one had deformities), so 22 left. Only 2 eggs that made it to lockdown failed to hatch. (I also hatched some eggs from my own flock, and I don't have many pics of just the GSBR alone - but I'm sure you can pick them out. LOL)

Beautiful chicks...thanks for posting!!!

So far I have 11 GSBR chicks out of 3.5 doz eggs set. I will leave the other eggs in for a few more days since my hatcher was running cool. I have more eggs going into lockdown tomorrow so not a problem leaving them in. I only saw 1 that looked like a roo for sure. Do the head spots hold true for this line too or is it just a guessing game?
tongue.png
I have not been good at picking from the head spot on them, pretty much a guessing game till they feather. .......stan

Greetings to the barred rock thread! I'm new to barred rocks (or I should say, new to the Heritage lines, because I have the utility BR) and need to learn! Fortunately for me, I live close to Frank Reese and I just drove over to his place and picked up a few chicks from him. Now, a few weeks later, one of them is looking gold..? I just got thru reading the standard on them and it lists it as a DQ. Does it show up that early on chicks? Also... another one of my chicks from him seems to be sort of spotty instead of barred. Do the barring get better with age, or can you tell right away they won't be barred as nicely? I'd love some input! Going to post pictures of the two birds in question. They are about 6 weeks old now. (just guessing)

Chick 1. Gold leakage??? Does this breed out, or should this be a cull? Working with silkies, I know that leakage is nearly impossible to breed out, so figuring that might be the case with these guys? Input??

here you can see the gold going down the neck into the breast...

And chick 2. (this one seems to be not so barred??) Will this improve, or is this as good as it gets for this bird?

The other chicks are all gorgeous I got from him. Any guesses on gender on these two?? Or is that still a shot in the dark right now? For example-- this is a chick that I *think* might be a boy because he's "lighter"...???
(another Frank Reese baby I picked up)

The ones with gold are not pure bred. The are likely sex links.
The ones with "blurry" barring are also not pure breds.

PS - all of your pictures are males.
So, none of these are pure bred? I drove to Frank Reese's (Good Shepherd) house and picked them up from him. He assured me they were pure barred rock. I'm totally confused now!? I was thinking he had a good reputation... so does he in fact not sell pure barred rocks? I'm curious what the general opinion is on his birds? Totally frustrated now too, that he gave me bad birds.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, I didn't make notes when my GSBRs were growing, but I believe at 6 weeks of age the GSBRs are not feathered out that completely. The good ones take forever to feather in. I concur with Kathyinmo that something must be mixed in those birds.

Back
Top Bottom