Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Someone correct me if I am wrong, I didn't make notes when my GSBRs were growing, but I believe at 6 weeks of age the GSBRs are not feathered out that completely. The good ones take forever to feather in. I concur with Kathyinmo that something must be mixed in those birds.
Well then, if that is the case, I would not recommend buying from him. Wow, I'm just totally shocked. I'm a complete BR newbie, but I didn't expect to get taken when I drove over to his house to pick up barred rock babies.
sad.png
Is there anyone else that IS reputable to buy from?? I'd rather not get taken again.

Well then, if that is the case, I would not recommend buying from him. Wow, I'm just totally shocked. I'm a complete BR newbie, but I didn't expect to get taken when I drove over to his house to pick up barred rock babies.
sad.png
Is there anyone else that IS reputable to buy from?? I'd rather not get taken again.

IMO these pictures, those questions, and this discussion should have been done between you and Frank not here on an open forum. IF there was a mistake made during the breeding I'm fairly certain he would want to know and will address the issue,,,,,,,,

Those first two look like black sex link cockerels to me, I've raised a couple of them and they grow super fast. Maybe one of his RIR Roosters snuck hold of one of his BR's. It does happen. True test of a reputable breeder, in my opinion, is how they handle the mix up.

Penny

IMO these pictures, those questions, and this discussion should have been done between you and Frank not here on an open forum. IF there was a mistake made during the breeding I'm fairly certain he would want to know and will address the issue,,,,,,,,
I appreciate your opinion on pointing that out for me. But until you all said I had something OTHER than barred rocks, I had no idea I was showing off anything other than nice quality barred rocks from him. This discussion, quite honestly, was a huge surprise to me! I thought I was just going to hopefully be told what happened with the gold (and hope it molted out or something) and that the other more mottled one would get it's barring in later. Goes to show how much I know. I had no idea I had a real problem.

Those first two look like black sex link cockerels to me, I've raised a couple of them and they grow super fast. Maybe one of his RIR Roosters snuck hold of one of his BR's. It does happen. True test of a reputable breeder, in my opinion, is how they handle the mix up.

Penny
Thanks! I think if I go back, I'll stick with adults and skip the babies, since I can't be certain about them. Sigh. I suppose he could have had a rogue rooster in there. But he showed us around his breeding barn, and it is set up in a really fantastic way. I saw all of his breeder birds personally-- they were gorgeous. He has them all divided up into pens. The only pen next to the barred rocks are the white Jersey Giants and then the pen next to that are the Cornish Darks (LF). I just really expected barred rocks and they LOOKED like barred rocks when I got them. I didn't see any other birds in there with them.
hide.gif

I appreciate your opinion on pointing that out for me. But until you all said I had something OTHER than barred rocks, I had no idea I was showing off anything other than nice quality barred rocks from him. This discussion, quite honestly, was a huge surprise to me! I thought I was just going to hopefully be told what happened with the gold (and hope it molted out or something) and that the other more mottled one would get it's barring in later. Goes to show how much I know. I had no idea I had a real problem.

You are not the only one who received sex links. Call him.

Kathy is right, you just need to call him. I don't know Frank personally but have heard only good things about the man. If something he said to you was not correct I'm sure that he would want to know about it and would like the opportunity to make it right. Don't get to upset just give him a call and let him know whats happening.

Chris

Greetings to the barred rock thread! I'm new to barred rocks (or I should say, new to the Heritage lines, because I have the utility BR) and need to learn! Fortunately for me, I live close to Frank Reese and I just drove over to his place and picked up a few chicks from him. Now, a few weeks later, one of them is looking gold..? I just got thru reading the standard on them and it lists it as a DQ. Does it show up that early on chicks? Also... another one of my chicks from him seems to be sort of spotty instead of barred. Do the barring get better with age, or can you tell right away they won't be barred as nicely? I'd love some input! Going to post pictures of the two birds in question. They are about 6 weeks old now. (just guessing)

Chick 1. Gold leakage??? Does this breed out, or should this be a cull? Working with silkies, I know that leakage is nearly impossible to breed out, so figuring that might be the case with these guys? Input??

here you can see the gold going down the neck into the breast...

And chick 2. (this one seems to be not so barred??) Will this improve, or is this as good as it gets for this bird?

The other chicks are all gorgeous I got from him. Any guesses on gender on these two?? Or is that still a shot in the dark right now? For example-- this is a chick that I *think* might be a boy because he's "lighter"...???
(another Frank Reese baby I picked up)

Question on sex of bird on this bottom bird. Can you tell he is a male by his comb or feather color. I hatched out 17 Good Shepherd Barred Rocks that I got from Frank. BTW, salt of the earth type of person. I have some that are lighter in feather color like the one above. Does this also mean they are males

These Good Shepherd Barred Rocks are BEAUTIFUL BIRDS.
Thanks
From SUNNY KANSAS

Question on sex of bird on this bottom bird. Can you tell he is a male by his comb or feather color. I hatched out 17 Good Shepherd Barred Rocks that I got from Frank. BTW, salt of the earth type of person. I have some that are lighter in feather color like the one above. Does this also mean they are males

These Good Shepherd Barred Rocks are BEAUTIFUL BIRDS.
Thanks
From SUNNY KANSAS
Yes, the bottom bird is a male. They look lighter because they have double the barring of the females. Congrats on the good hatch!!.......stan

Back
Top Bottom