Barred Rocks or Marrans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by al6517, Jul 20, 2008.

1. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Could you help me clarrify the main differences between these two breeds. I have 20 birds that are 8-10 wks old, they look like Barred Rocks and were sold to me as such. might they be Marrans ?
    what are the differences between the leg color, and barring, I have also heard in this forum about a white dot on the head of a Barred Rock, what is this about. and where to look for it ?
    My chicks are very healthy with light gray legs but some have a yellow tinge to them, not really orange, the barring is distinct on almost all of them but some seem much darker in coloring. when might I be able to recoginze the roosters first signs. ?
    Thanks much
    AL

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Marans should have white legs and Barred rocks have yellow legs. As for the barring, Im not sure how to tell on that. I go by the legs. The marans, the roos are lighter in color then the hens...........good luck............

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The barring on BR's is more even, with the white and black alternating evenly.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here's a cockerel with the dot on the head, more like a splotchy spot on the boys, more an actual defined spot on the girls. Doesn't always work, but usually does.
    [​IMG]

Here is a BR pullet chick, but most have spots a bit larger than she did:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by