Barred rocks

Chickedychick98

Chirping
Sep 20, 2019
Hi looking to possibly incubate some Plymouth barred rocks. Anyone that owns some can you please help answer some of my questions.

1) Do they get along with other breeds in your flock.

2) Are they quiet/docile/friendly?

3)Noisy egg song or none?

4) How well do they deal with confinement? ( A large run in a garden rather than free ranging)

5) Do they lay in winter?

6) Would you recommend them?

Hi looking to possibly incubate some Plymouth barred rocks. Anyone that owns some can you please help answer some of my questions.

4) How well do they deal with confinement? ( A large run in a garden rather than free ranging)

See my answers on the BA! They would be the same. Just so happens that my BA and PBR are besties.
Here they are sharing a 12"x12" nest box.
IMG_20181115_161509126.jpg

Aww thank you for your responses! I have a mixed flock and love the sound of both breeds. My main worry is about having a noisy hen as we have neighbours all around that don’t take too well to noisy hens!

Aww thank you for your responses! I have a mixed flock and love the sound of both breeds. My main worry is about having a noisy hen as we have neighbours all around that don’t take too well to noisy hens!
All hens can be noisy. I have found both of these girls to be quiet and sweet.

I don’t have a lot of first hand experience with them as mine are only 2 weeks old but so far they are the friendliest and most curious of my bunch! The meanest thing about them is when they wipe their little beaks off on my pants and shoes 😂 I also have some two week old EE and RIR which they seem to get along with well so far, but they have been raised together so I don’t know if that plays a role.

I will say I got them in part because everything I read said that they were winter hardy birds with a lay rate of about 180-200 per year so they should lay in the winter but just not as frequently.

All in all, two weeks in 10/10 would recommend!

Attachments

• 5AB0275D-46DB-429D-B139-00FBBA7BE7A0.jpeg
    5AB0275D-46DB-429D-B139-00FBBA7BE7A0.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 23F439BC-7D77-45A6-81DB-D435A45B0B83.jpeg
    23F439BC-7D77-45A6-81DB-D435A45B0B83.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom