Barred silkie

Jan 22, 2022
Missouri
What would I breed to make a barred silkie?
Screenshot_20220618-170600_Google.jpg
I want them to look like this.

Barred/Cuckoo silkies can be made with Barred Rock, standard, or Bantam, doesn't matter.

1st F1 crossing, Male Barred Rock X Black Silkie = 100% Barred Offspring

F1 Barred Rock/Silkie X F1 Barred Rock Silkie = F2 cross. 100% Barred Offspring, 50% Silkied, 50% Smooth, 25% Black skinned, 25% White Skinned

(Not great at percentages, correct me if I'm wrong)

F2 Male X Black Silkie Female = 100% Barred, Silkied, Black Skinned offspring.
From here, you can select the best for breeding, & breed to get better offspring, pattern, etc.

Here’s the thing. Barring almost always prevents dermal melanin from being expressed because it is so far on the chromosome. The dark skin has a 1 percent chance of being passed on. Cuckoo Silkie breeders have managed to get birds with the 1 percent.
So my recommendation is just buy cuckoo Silkies. It will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

Here’s the thing. Barring almost always prevents dermal melanin from being expressed because it is so far on the chromosome. The dark skin has a 1 percent chance of being passed on. Cuckoo Silkie breeders have managed to get birds with the 1 percent.
So my recommendation is just buy cuckoo Silkies. It will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.
It's worth a shot. Though Cuckoo Silkies are hard too come by. Been searching for some for quite awhile.

So you could do the crosses that @MysteryChicken suggested, get the one percent, and cross those.

Where do I find them?

Ask 43-934 Evie Finley 816-606-5303

1799 Bitteisweet Lane E-mail: [email protected]

From her offering however, it looks like what she has she couldn’t get anything better than what you could produce, but you could ask for breeder recommendations in Missouri.

https://m.facebook.com/freindshipoakcreamery/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0 Also this, but the skin color is dubious.

Or if you don’t care about the skin color, I guess breeding them yourself is fine.

I don’t know anything about Cuckoo Silkies or breeders in Missouri so you can find them better than I can on the internet

Back
Top Bottom