Barred with bumps on face

Island Juli

Chirping
Jan 25, 2016
I have a flock of about 120, I checked them all and only this one has this.

Do I need to be worried???

Did my research. It's dry fowl pox and I've got at least 7 infected. I'm sure I'll see more as time goes on. I did put the ones I found infected in a separate pen as I don't want the others pecking at their sores.

My main concern is the fact that I have a Silkie momma with 19 1 week old chicks. She has a few pox on her as well. I'm resigning myself that I might lose some of the babies.

Heading to town tomorrow (Hawaii, one day a week into town) to see if Del's (our TSC) has any Oxine and/or vaccination as I have 14 eggs in the 'bator hatching in a couple of weeks.

Also going to look for some Poly-Vi-Sol to add to everyone's water for awhile along with some antibiotics.

Cancelled a couple sales of juveniles and roosters.

Mosquitoes are bad here year round, rain everyday and warm temperatures.

It may seem nutty but a few drops of iodine in water seemed to help my babes in a similar condition. Vet rx for poultry too.

I have a flock of about 120, I checked them all and only this one has this.

Do I need to be worried???
Quote:Originally Posted by Island Juli

Did my research. It's dry fowl pox and I've got at least 7 infected. I'm sure I'll see more as time goes on. I did put the ones I found infected in a separate pen as I don't want the others pecking at their sores.

My main concern is the fact that I have a Silkie momma with 19 1 week old chicks. She has a few pox on her as well. I'm resigning myself that I might lose some of the babies.

Heading to town tomorrow (Hawaii, one day a week into town) to see if Del's (our TSC) has any Oxine and/or vaccination as I have 14 eggs in the 'bator hatching in a couple of weeks.

Also going to look for some Poly-Vi-Sol to add to everyone's water for awhile along with some antibiotics.
It looks like Wet form of Fowl Pox (Wet Fowl Pox).

She has quite a bit in/around the eyes, if there is any pus in the eyes, try to flush the eyes with saline, but try not to disturb the scabs.If you can get some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment for the eyes that may help with any secondary infections.

Let us know how they are doing.

Chicken Chick has a good article on treatment here:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

Back
Top Bottom