Basement Coop, outdoor run?

Codex0802

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2022
We are looking for the cheapest possible way to start with chickens for eggs (10 Barred Rocks hens is the plan). We have a split basement, one side accessible from the house and the other only accessible from outside. We were thinking of turning the outside access basement to a coop area. It is about 10' x 15', and has a few small vents, but thinking we could add some larger ones to the door and sides (the top of the basement is slightly above ground). It has electricity, stays a comfortable temp, and it would be very secure from predators. We are planning on doing the deep litter method, which from my understanding has little to no smell. We then would have a run attached to the door, so they would have a decent amount of outdoor space during the day. Is this a reasonable plan or is there something I am missing that makes this a horrible idea?

Not something I would do. The moisture from the poop and their breath would cause mold issues in a short time.
Chickens are a barnyard critter. Where are you located? Weather and climate will determine what type of setups will work best in your area.
SW Missouri. The basement walls are concrete - would mold still be a concern?

Rule of thumb is 4sqf per bird in the coop not counting nest boxes. And 1sqf of ventilation per bird that is well above there heads while on roost.
10 birds would require a 40sqf coop (5x8). Maybe only get 6 chickens. That would reduce the coop size to 24sqf or 6x4.

Your not in a horrible cold climate, I'd look into hoop coops. Easy to build and not expensive compared to a normal walk in coop.

We then would have a run attached to the door, so they would have a decent amount of outdoor space during the day.
If you make the run predator proof, and put a roof on it, they may not need a "coop" at all. Chickens are usually quite happy to sleep on perches in a covered run, and of course you can put in a few nestboxes for the hens to lay eggs.

Is this a reasonable plan or is there something I am missing that makes this a horrible idea?
Dust, mold, bits of chicken poop and other things oozing into the floor, chicken poop stuck to the walls like cement.

Personally, I wouldn't put chickens in a basement.

(I'm not saying it WILL not work, just saying why I would not try it.)

Back
Top Bottom