Basic Question about showing 4H Chickens

juliemom25

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2009
This is our first year doing chickens and we are hooked. My 9 yr old son (and possibly my 11 yr old daughter) would like to show chickens in the fair next year. I know nothing about that. I know how to find a local 4H group that does chickens, but what is the best way to go about things? Do we need to buy chickens especially for 4H? When should we get started for the 2010 fair?

We have 20 14 week old hens right now that we bought from an on line hatchery. THose hens are 5 RIR's, 5 EE's, 4 Black Autralorps, 3 New Hampshire Reds and 3 Buff Orpingtons. We also have six, 6 week old bantams from TSC (1 white silkie, 2 black silkies, 1 seabright and 2 OEG's). We have 2 EE roos right now that are 4 weeks old. WOuld we use any of these for the fair? Should we get birds from a breeder? What kind of birds place the best?

Thanks for any answers you can give me!

Julie

You could use the birds you already have just pick one or two and cage/show train them. They have to be tested and have leg bands 90 or less days before the show.

Have your kids learn about the breed they choose for showmanship.

Good luck
D.gif

wow, most do have to be vacc. I would say show the breed your sonloves the best~ Also show the chicken that loves your son the best~

i mean it's not really about winning is it....
gig.gif
It's about the fun
frow.gif

If you get a hold of the local 4-H group and talk to them they will tell you what you need to do for you county fair..
Chris

Ours have to be tested if over a year old or born before Jan. 1 of this year. Or If you got them this year you have to have the NPIP certification form from the hatchery.

They do not use leg bands at ours.

It is the first year for us too. Get into a poultry club and ask a lot of questions. My son just went up and painted the poultry barn and cleaned it up for the fair today.

GOod luck.

Remember to have fun.

Different states have different requirements for vaccination. Different 4H groups have different types of shows/requirements. Some do meat birds, others exhibition, others showmanship, others some mix of the above. Get involved in a 4H group and find out their requirements.

THanks for your help guys. I think I will look in to a 4H group around here and see what the requirements are!

Julie

Back
Top Bottom