Basic Turkey Questions

BarredBuff

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
Hey BYC'ers! Ive got ducks and chickens and I think turkeys would be good new animal. Could you help me please?

1. Whats the breed for me? I want a large heritage breed thats hardy and will raise their own young. I like the Standard Bronze most of all. Do they meet these qualities?
2. Can chicks and poults be brooded and live together as adults?
3. I know they can catch blackhead from chickens, do you allow them to mix?
4. Do home raised, heritage birds have a different taste than storebought hybrids?
5. Are they primarily self sufficient with their feeding?

Any other advice would be appreciated!

BB

Quote:
I can only help on a few things......

#2 - Diseases such as blackhead can be caught by the turkeys from the chickens. I prefer to keep mine separate. DH puts our broad breasted whites with the chickens though......he did not have problems yet and has been doing that about a year. We have processed those now though.

#4 - honestly, YES. Most definately. I have always HATED turkey. At family dinners, thanksgiving, christmas etc..I would not eat turkey....all but a few years when my mom cooked she fixed whatever my dad wanted...when I cooked I fix both so I could have ham. Until I fixed one of our birds last Thanksgiving. NOW I EAT TURKEY! I actually ate turkey sandwiches 2 times a day for 4 days! OMG it is delicious. Way better than the stuff from the store.

Last edited:
Quote:
I can only help on a few things......

#2 - Diseases such as blackhead can be caught by the turkeys from the chickens. I prefer to keep mine separate. DH puts our broad breasted whites with the chickens though......he did not have problems yet and has been doing that about a year. We have processed those now though.

#4 - honestly, YES. Most definately. I have always HATED turkey. At family dinners, thanksgiving, christmas etc..I would not eat turkey....all but a few years when my mom cooked she fixed whatever my dad wanted...when I cooked I fix both so I could have ham. Until I fixed one of our birds last Thanksgiving. NOW I EAT TURKEY! I actually ate turkey sandwiches 2 times a day for 4 days! OMG it is delicious. Way better than the stuff from the store.

Thanks!

A standard bronze is a great first time turkey. I never had a turkey of any kind that did not sit and raise young. Turkeys need a high protein feed (28%-30%). If raised with excellent pasture, you can cut you feed some. For more information on raising turkeys on pasture go to the educational link on the ALBC website. My turkeys get along fine with Ducks, Bantams, Peafowl, chickens and Geese. I brood mine with anything that hatches. Taste is like the difference of any home grown bird. Alot has to do with your cooking method.

Back
Top Bottom