Basics for House Pigeons

Here is my current set up. I didn't want to clutter it with too many things.
I got a bird lamp for the top and a toy that has paper shreds in it, since I heard pigeons aren't big on toys but maybe paper bits would be fun for them. Would they eat a millet spray if I put one in the holder, too?

In summer the window will be open most of the day.

View attachment 2513130
Where's the birdie?!?:D

Here is my current set up. I didn't want to clutter it with too many things.
I got a bird lamp for the top and a toy that has paper shreds in it, since I heard pigeons aren't big on toys but maybe paper bits would be fun for them. Would they eat a millet spray if I put one in the holder, too?

In summer the window will be open most of the day.

View attachment 2513130
The setup is good enough, but remove the rope as it is too thin, a pigeon will not use it. A nest bowl or basket should be provided, a bonded hen will lay eggs for you and a bonded male will want a nest to claim and defend even though they won't lay (obviously.)

It took like 18 months for my hen to decide to start laying eggs but she has done it every four weeks like clockwork for a while now.

One bird is recommended as an indoor pet if someone is home most of the time. Two birds will not bond strongly to a caretaker in the same way.

I've taken to feeding Petco's dove seed mix this year without issue, but I also feed Zupreem naturals parakeet pellet food. An indoor bird that doesn't get sun needs pellets in the diet, or a vitamin supplement, to get vitamin D to process calcium in their diet. As winter is coming soon and we don't be able to take her outside, I am considering a UVB light as well, which mimics sunlight and lets birds make their own vitamin D, in which case the diet can be entirely seed. You just want a few types, including peas and grains, which the Petco mix contains.

No need to deworm or delouse a house bird at all, except maybe when its brand new. They wont get parasites indoors.

My bird has a 30 x 18 finch cage also from Petco with a shelf added but this would be much too small for a larger breed or for a bird that isn't allowed free flight in the home most of the day.

If you have a discord messenger account, I can talk to you more thoroughly, my tag is Salamander Man#4246

For the vitamin doses, can it be mixed into a gallon jug and kept in the fridge to refill the dish for a while, or should it be prepared fresh every time? I ask because it seems like for one bird, there would be waste of the vitamin mix when changing water every day (same question for the vinegar water).

Thanks for the Rooster Booster suggestion ... I had seen recommendations elsewhere for a brand called RedCell, but that seems to only come in pretty large containers.

Also, do people use UV cage lights? I know they are popular for parrots.
You can just mix up smaller doses of needed. I don't recommend storing it. But, they will last you forever, even if some is wasted. They both take roughly 1\4 of a tablespoon per gallon of water, so it last a long time. That's why I like them. To many products dilute their meds and supplements for animals where it is like two tablespoons per gallon, and then you see it was diluted to 1%. So you burn right through it, and payed a whole bunch for it. But These supplement, they are not a rip off. :)

Yes, the lights are used some. I have never used them though, so I cant give you much advice. :(

If you can handle the noise, you could also give them a bell to play with. XP
1FE427B6-B694-4561-8F4C-987F6004B3B6.jpeg
CF00EC4F-51CA-42CF-ABAF-970F47071EAE.jpeg

My water schedule is this:

Sunday: two tablespoons of ACV
Monday: Probiotics
Tuesday: Two tablespoons of ACV
Wednesday: fresh water
Thursday: rooster booster vitamins
Friday: two tablespoons of ACV
Saturday: fresh water

For the vitamin doses, can it be mixed into a gallon jug and kept in the fridge to refill the dish for a while, or should it be prepared fresh every time? I ask because it seems like for one bird, there would be waste of the vitamin mix when changing water every day (same question for the vinegar water).

Thanks for the Rooster Booster suggestion ... I had seen recommendations elsewhere for a brand called RedCell, but that seems to only come in pretty large containers.

Also, do people use UV cage lights? I know they are popular for parrots.

Back
Top Bottom