Bath chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by romeoz13, Sep 15, 2014.

1. romeoz13

romeoz13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    How often can we give our chicks a bath? I dont want to dry them out by doing it to much. Thanks

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've raised lots of chicks over the years, and I've never given the cute little fuzzies a bath. You don't want to chill them, because they could get ill. If you just keep their brooder clean and dry, they shouldn't need a bath. Did you have a special reason for bathing them?

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC

I Agree. I been raising chickens for near 60 years----only bath mine have ever had is if they stand in the rain or fall in the water bucket! LOL. Seriously, the Only Time I have ever given a chick a bath was if it hatched and had shell/membrane stuck to it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  4. romeoz13

romeoz13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    my wife was just curious if they needed a bath. She didn't want to give them a bath if they don't need one. thanks for replies..

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Chickens won't bathe in water, but they love to "bathe" in the dirt. Dirt, sand, loose horse poop, wood ashes, things like that are great for them to flop around. They'll look like they're having a seizure or something [​IMG]. But, the dirt is how they keep themselves clean and parasite-free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by