Bathe a Chicken?

lmdengler

Songster
6 Years
Jun 2, 2017
Upstate New York
I have a blue orphanton who is just lovely. Except it looks a little like she could use a bath. She seems to get poopy on her fluffy derrière. It's not terrible- just not as tidy and the rest of the flock. Should I do something about it? I don't want to give her a heart attack trying to bathe her.

If you set up a nice warm tub of water, (not too high though) then dip her feet into the water. She will now feel the temperature of the water.

Once you do this let her body float in the water and clean off her feathers. A old tooth brush comes in handy for her shanks...(Legs)...

Then you can put a teaspoon of vinegar or baby shampoo in the water and massage her.

Put her in another tub of water and gently rinse her off. Lowly hair dry her or towel fry her. Sun drying works just fine.

~The Angry Hen

Bathing chickens removes their natural oils. PD gave you the most appropriate advice. Orpingtons have fluffy butts. Trim a bit and she should be able to keep herself clean with normal dust bathing.

How upset will she be? Do I have to worry about a heart attack? Seriously asking?

That depends on how used to handling she is in general. My birds are used to being handled so don't have an issue with me picking them up and holding them. Occasionally, I have to bathe a poopy butt and what I do is fill a 5 gallon bucket or a plastic tub with warm water--enough so that when they stand in it, the water covers the poopy bits. I stand the bird in the bucket and put a screen of hardware cloth over the top and let them soak for 10 minutes or so. I may cover half of the top with a towel to darken it and calm the bird. My birds relax and just stand there soaking in the water. Never leave them unattended. When you think the poop has softened you can take them out and check. Sometimes the poop needs a little massaging to help it loosen. Sometimes they need a bit longer soak. I don't use any soap so as not to strip the natural oils from their feathers and that way I don't have to worry about rinsing them and causing stress. Just a soothing soak does the trick.

You might read through this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/do-chickens-need-baths.1188429/

Basically dust baths are the only baths chickens "need". That doesn't mean you can't give a chicken a bath if you feel you want to. People that show chickens give them a bath before a show, just like people that show cattle, pigs, or other animals bathe their show animals. It will not hurt your hen to give her a bath if you want to. But that's for your benefit, not hers.

Back
Top Bottom