1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bathe a chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nic214, Oct 14, 2009.

1. nic214

nic214 New Egg

May 2, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have a buff orp. that went under our truck and has grease all over her, can I give her a bath and if so what do I use?

2. okieroy

okieroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Bethany, Ok
    I would consider chainmaille or at least kevlar.

3. MimiChick

MimiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Glocester, RI
    Given the cold weather right now, unless you have a nice warm place to keep her for a while afterward, I wouldn't do it. That being said, when I was researching here to bathe one of my chickens I found out that Dawn dishwashing liquid was good to use. You could also consider a dog/cat flea and tick shampoo (extra benefit of getting rid of lice and mites). Do a search for "baths", "bathing" and you should come up with a lot of informative threads.
    Depending on how old she is, if she's growing adult feathers, molting, whatever, you could also just let the greasy feathers go out naturally when new ones come in.
    Good luck.

4. musson

musson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    When they clean birds where an oil spill has occurred they use liquid dawn dish detergent. Works wonders.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] Just as long as she is not covered in grease, I would leave her alone. It can be washed off with warm water and Dawn if it is bothering you or her.

6. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    How do you get a chicken to cooperate with a bath? Mine don't even like to be picked up.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  7. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Dawn as a grease remover works great but it removes all the grease - even the natural stuff the birds use to keep their feathers in shape. If you can just rub over the oil spots on her with a damp cloth, perhaps with a little vinegar that might be the thing to try first before you submerge her.

Mary

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My personal experience is that they will just go get that grease on them again unless you have a way to fence them away from the vehicles.

At one point i had 6 buff orpington girls with black all over their backs from the same thing.

I know how disappointing it is to see their beautiful buff feathers blackened, but it might be a futile effort at this point. And if they stop going down there, it WILL start to wear off from dust bathing and -if they're still pullets- from getting more big girl feathers.

9. MimiChick

MimiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Glocester, RI
    Quote:Well, when I did have to give my Marans a bath this summer she really seemed to enjoy it once she was in the warm water - and my girls don't like to get picked up either, but she almost went to sleep while I was bathing her and then again after, when I used the hair dryer to get her dry. Go figure [​IMG]

10. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They melt in a warm bath, like its hypnotizing. I often have to be sure and keep their heads above water!!! Then when they get out their muscles are so relaxed they stumble about a bit.

The do love the blowdryer too.. it's cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by