Bathing chickens? Can or should you?

58585_maysbath_012.jpg

lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

58585_maysbath_018.jpg

I have only cleaned off wounds on my birds with a bath. But I thought they would like getting in a small pool to cool off here in S.E. bama when it gets hot. I bought a small, cheap, kiddie pool for 8 bucks at the dollar store, put an inch of water in it, and they will not get in. They stare at it next to their water trough, and then back at me as to say where is the rest of the water for us to drink. SO, I am assuming they are not fond of "getting into" water. I thought they would love it. GRRRRRRRRR.. Anyone else try this?

I think they prefer the old dust bath, as that is their natural instinct. Some birds like to splash around in water
but not chickens. I wouldn't bath them, just because they won't do it themselves in a natural setting.

I've had to bathe a young chick before. I got it from the feed store, and it was all gross and picked. My kids had been putting neosporin on her sores, and she was really nasty looking. I wanted to be able to clean her back, and get the matting off the picked areas. You just have to be fast, and be sure to blow dry them completely.

Not something I'd recommend for chicks unless really necessary.

However, my two roosters really seemed to enjoy their baths before a show earlier this month! I was expecting them to resist, but they were terrific! They were almost dry when I put them back outside, but it was a nice warm day, so I wasn't too concerned.

I only wash my birds if I'm showing them, selling them or taking them to a special event. Some of mine get dirty, but if I had to wash them every time they became a mess, I'd never be done!

Here's my boy right after a blow-dry. Sudsing him up with some baby shampoo really makes him glow.
smile.png

Crix-Pro5.jpg

lau.gif
I just gave my three silkies and my EE cockerel their first bath, and they loved it! A few hours later my lover visited the chickens and I was bugging the crap out of him by holding up my favorite silkie to him and saying, "Aww, just smell 'im, panda bear! He smells like lavender!" lolol
gig.gif
So cute!~~

Back
Top Bottom