Bathing chickens? Can or should you?

hi there does anyone know the most friendly of chickens,i would like ones that are happy to be cuddled,

Just thought I would chime in about the baths! For some reason, the ISA Browns in my flock always get poopy bums. Not really the other breeds. Anyway, i just use a red plastic mop pail with warm water and a bit of epsom salt, no soap. I work the poopy bits loose with my fingers. The birds seem not to mind the bath, like others said they sometimes get sleepy in the water! I towel dry them and then set them under a couple 60watt lites indoor til they're dry. They don't come out show-worthy-clean but good enough for healthier bums! Sometimes the cat hangs out too..
[/IMG]

I bathed, really it was a soak since I didn't actually clean her, my constipated 5 week old.

Beware bathing tends to cause chickens to empty their bowels after its over.

Okay, I know this is an old thread, but thanks to you all and with my husband's help I was able to bathe our Clarisse, who had a poopy bum. First time bathing a chicken! She's our least friendly/tame girl and I was anticipating a flappy, squawky, sudsy, soaked Lucy-and-Ethel Moment but you guys gave me the courage and the method and it worked!
yesss.gif
She really did relax when she hit the warm water, just as you said, and it all went without a hitch. So thanks for your advice and all the photos. You guys rock.
bow.gif

Same with small kittens and puppies. We had a very constipated kitten we rescued. While at the vet, they submerged her to her neck in warm water and washed her with Dial. She finally pooped like she never pooped before. I think it relaxes their muscles. Might try that on my kiddo too. LOL.

Aww brilliant pics. Its given me more confidence to bathe my rescued hens, a couple of them have rather poopy rear ends

I am preparing to bathe our four hens and one rooster at work. All have mites and we're going to use Dawn dish soap. My question is, should I bathe the ducks and geese as well?

Back
Top Bottom