Bathing????????

clucksbc

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 9, 2011
Hello...I have a white non bearded silkie...that is quite filthy
they are such rotertillers, and have turned there grassy area to dirt...
they just love it...but she has been this way for days...
and being a silkie...I have taken extra measures...so she wouldn't get wet..
so I don't know...
do people bath chiickens???/
if so,,,what cleaner would they use...it it really the top of her head that looks...completely unkept...

i have once so far the silly thing likes to roll ineverything including fly paper

i just bought a normal wash bucket as only small at the moment at 10 weeks used mildy warm water and a tiny wit of soap ( and scissors for the glue ! sadly that just wont wash out
hide.gif
)

Quote:
Having had flypaper stuck in my hair at one time, I can sympathize with your chicken's plight. lol! I've only ever washed a silkie rooster that I used to have; he was prone to getting a poopy bottom.

Last edited:
Quote:
I had 3 get stuck in fly paper! it was a pain to get it off, but I found it was easier to oil it off the cooking oil than to bathe a flapping chicken. I did end up cutting some of it out.

I always used seventh generation dish soap, they seem fine with it.

If you really want to keep it simple, and not dry out the delicate Silkie feathers, (Dawn is very harsh) get some children's bubble bath soak. I use just half a cap-full of the "no tears" formula in a basin of warm water. Immerse the chicken, splash sudsy water on all the dirty areas until the soil loosens. I use a wash cloth and a fingernail brush to remove the dirt. No need to rinse, unless the water is very dirty.

Wrap the wet chicken in a heavy towel, blotting as dry as possible. Do not rub the feathers! Blow dry on low. It will take quite a while. You may wish to blow dry to the damp stage and keep the chicken inside in a warm room over night until all the way dry.

Quote:
I had 3 get stuck in fly paper! it was a pain to get it off, but I found it was easier to oil it off the cooking oil than to bathe a flapping chicken. I did end up cutting some of it out.

I always used seventh generation dish soap, they seem fine with it.

i will keep oil idea for the future thank you hollywood chicken , luckily nugget is a star and just sits there lovely chicken but today he goes to a new home and will be missed lots and lots

Quote:
Have had flypaper stuck in my hair at one time, I can sympathize with your chicken's plight. lol! I've only ever washed a silkie rooster that I used to have; he was prone to getting a poopy bottom.

my chicken nugget thanks you for your sympathy as he got non from me , only laughter the silly thing is always rolling around in something copying the dog !

Back
Top Bottom