1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baths for chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mickey9, Apr 14, 2008.

1. mickey9

mickey9 New Egg

Jan 30, 2007
    My chickens are in a movable chicken tractor. When they get out to free range (very rarely due to loose dogs and hawks) they immediately run under my Leland Cypress tress and have a lovely dirt bath. What can I put out in their pen for them to take a dirt bath in? Since I move it to fresh pasture every other day they never get a good dusty spot going before it's moved. I was thinking a kitty litter pan with something in it--cedar shavings or something? Would they even use such a thing? Anyone have a "bath box" in their coop for hens that can't free range? Thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    No cedar. The fumes can cause problems with your chickens that could be fatal over time. Use play sand.

3. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    Play sand with DE in it would be nice if they will use it . My birds fear anything white , when we got a snow they acted like it was fluffy acid. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by