bator temp problem

cowlady11

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Haydenville, MA
Ok so i bought a hovabator that had only been used once. I attempted to hatch duck eggs but had a hell of a time keeping the temp at the appropriate level ->only one egg hatched. I had to put the bator in a closet with a heat lamp over it just to keep the temp steady. Any ideas why the bator wont keep the high temp on it's own?? I want to get some turkey eggs to hatch, but now until i have this sucker figured out. Thanks!!

Quote:
No styrofoam bator will hold the steady temperature through incubation process, it needs to be checked, supervised and adjusted.

Beside waterfowl eggs are more difficult to incubate (require humidity control managment, cool down periods and misting.

Also waterfowl eggsare better to lay on sides, hovabator and LG turners are useless here.

I learned it the hard way.

Quote:
No styrofoam bator will hold the steady temperature through incubation process, it needs to be checked, supervised and adjusted.

Beside waterfowl eggs are more difficult to incubate (require humidity control managment, cool down periods and misting.

Also waterfowl eggsare better to lay on sides, hovabator and LG turners are useless here.

I learned it the hard way.

I wouldn't say that all styrofoam incubators don't hold temp. I had an LG, and yes that one was worthless, so I purchased the Preset Hovabator 1588, and OMG it's amazing, it only fluxuates 2-4 tenths of a degree! The only thing it needs me for is adding water every once in a while, It is absolutley AMAZING!!! With the LG I wasn't sleeping because I was afraid it would spike while I was sleeping, so after a week my husband bought me the 1588 and I have had no worries at all, I even left for 4 days on Vacation, and when I got back and checked the thermometer/Hydrometer memory, it had stayed absolutley perfect the whole time!!!!!!!!! Cutler supply has the best price on it, and even though it's at the high price end for styrofoam bators, it's totaly worth it! Also it can use the LG or Hovabator turner! I'm at day 15 and 24 out of 26 are developing! YAY!
ya.gif

Good Luck!

Well, my syrofoam incubator does great, the only problems came from hubby piling stuff on top. I have hatched my duck eggs and chicken eggs in it for 2 years. Once you get it adjusted you have to be very careful not to touch the button. Also, I have noticed if my water runs low, it changes the temp. I add water every morning and before I go to bed. If the temp does drop, I leave the eggs in a little longer, usually 2 to 3 days past due date. I have had a 95% hatch rate. I had so many ducks and chickens last year, I had add them to my freezer.

Back
Top Bottom