Battery drinker heater?!? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kerrybanks1990, Nov 23, 2013.

1. kerrybanks1990

kerrybanks1990 New Egg

Nov 23, 2013
    I'm hoping someone can help me!

I have been trying to find a heat mat/pad for my drinker to stop freezing, but only seem to be able to find mains powered ones.

Does anyone know of any way to heat a drinker off a battery rather than mains?

Thanks in advance guys :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Since generating heat with electricity takes a lot of energy, it's impractical to do so with battery or solar.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Yes, it takes a lot of energy to generate heat in the cold. If you don't have access to commercial power, a rubber water bowl might be a good idea. Just knock the ice out in the morning and refill.

Chris

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Another option keep secondary waterers filled in your home and switch, this is what we do for non hydro accessed coops.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's what I do. I have power to my coops and run but it's just too ****** expensive to try to heat the waterers.

I swap out the waterers when the base starts getting slushy. I bring them in and set them on the shelf by the wood stove to thaw. Then I trot out with warmed waterers to replace those. I maybe have to do it but twice on a ten degree day. My leg work is sure cheaper than the co-op bill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by