Battery Hen Thread!

I really, really love reading all of the stories and seeing the (sometimes heartbreaking) photos of rescues. Please continue to share; it's so wonderful to know there are people out there who care so much for animals like these.

We got an ex battery hen from our local pet store about 4 months ago. We named her Mabel. She was extremely scrawny when we first got her, it was so sad she didn't know what to do with treats or grass. She wouldnt roost either. However, she has changed so much in the time she has been with us and scratches around just like our others chooks and is nice and fluffy now. Mabel is such a lovely thing and you can easily puck her up for a cuddle and she loves to chat too..

I know it's only one girl, but it has been lovely to watch her transform into a healthy happy chook. My children have also watched the change in her and will preach to their friends now about how important it is to buy only free range eggs :)

I am rescuing battery hens on Monday. They didn't have any spent ones, so they said we can buy battery pullets for $10 each
smile.png
I can't wait to witness these hens touch the dirt, the grass, sun bathe, dust bathe, perch, see the sun, all for the first time after a life of suffering in a small cage. If I only the ones I end up taking knew what was going to happen Monday! Because Monday, they will be free from the small cages!
smile.png

I am rescuing battery hens on Monday. They didn't have any spent ones, so they said we can buy battery pullets for $10 each
smile.png
I can't wait to witness these hens touch the dirt, the grass, sun bathe, dust bathe, perch, see the sun, all for the first time after a life of suffering in a small cage. If I only the ones I end up taking knew what was going to happen Monday! Because Monday, they will be free from the small cages!
smile.png
I got a few at POL before they went into the cages. What I didn't understand is the fact all my girls were fully feathered when there was baldy's in the cages. They can't have been the new pullets! I would have much rather had the old girls! But I still love the ones I got. They don't take hardly anytime to adjust. One of mine started laying straight away and all went out and got to bed on there first day. They didn't give me as much joy as ex batts but it gave me a good feeling knowing I stopped them from all that pain and suffering. Good luck with your girls. Hope to see some pics!

I will be posting many pictures here when I get them
smile.png
I was told they are almost a year old, so I would guess they have been in cages for about 6 months or so. I would assume they will (sadly) have some feather loss, which sucks since it has been rainy the past 2 weeks. I really wanted spent ones, but this was the last resort, (I couldn't find any local places that sell spent battery hens) and I am just happy to free them from the cages! They will probably be White Leghorns, because they are the most commonly used in the USA. But, I am getting them from an agricultural college so they may have both white egg layers and brown egg layers, but I don't know. I really wan't Leghorns, but breed doesn't matter! I am trying to get all my work done for the weekend today, so I can spend Saturday & Sunday preparing for the hens. I think I will be getting 10.

I will be posting many pictures here when I get them
smile.png
I was told they are almost a year old, so I would guess they have been in cages for about 6 months or so. I would assume they will (sadly) have some feather loss, which sucks since it has been rainy the past 2 weeks. I really wanted spent ones, but this was the last resort, (I couldn't find any local places that sell spent battery hens) and I am just happy to free them from the cages! They will probably be White Leghorns, because they are the most commonly used in the USA. But, I am getting them from an agricultural college so they may have both white egg layers and brown egg layers, but I don't know. I really wan't Leghorns, but breed doesn't matter! I am trying to get all my work done for the weekend today, so I can spend Saturday & Sunday preparing for the hens. I think I will be getting 10.
Sounds good! Don't worry about them being bald. One of my girls is molting and is worse than most ex batts I have got and she is fine! If you are that concerned get a chicken jumper. If you want her to grow her feathers back quicker boost the protein in her diet. Give them growers pellets, scrambled egg and meal worms (not sure if you know all of this already, sorry if you do!). I'm glad you are getting 10, the more the better!

Last edited:
Well; I looked up 10 month old battery hens, and I guess they probably will have lots of feather loss. I just don't want 'em getting cold since they aren't used to outdoor temps, plus it has been raining here. If they aren't cold, I won't worry about their feathers or anything, but if they are I may feed them mashed up hard boiled eggs. Now I am trying to decide between 10 hens and 15 hens. I will have to decide when I get to the factory chicken farm tomorrow.

Well; I looked up 10 month old battery hens, and I guess they probably will have lots of feather loss. I just don't want 'em getting cold since they aren't used to outdoor temps, plus it has been raining here. If they aren't cold, I won't worry about their feathers or anything, but if they are I may feed them mashed up hard boiled eggs. Now I am trying to decide between 10 hens and 15 hens. I will have to decide when I get to the factory chicken farm tomorrow.
If you can house 15, get 15! Believe me when you see them there you will get 15! If they let you go inside the shed be prepared for the smell and noise.

If you can house 15, get 15! Believe me when you see them there you will get 15! If they let you go inside the shed be prepared for the smell and noise.

That is what I'm worried about! My wife and I rehab unwanted hamsters (biters, dumped by their owners, medical problems), and we have to resist taking in every one that needs a home. I don't know how I'll cope see all the poor chookies and only taking three.

Back
Top Bottom