Battery Hens & Red Bottoms

gazparkin

Chirping
May 23, 2018
Sheffield, UK
Hi Everyone

I’ve recently rescued three battery hens and I’d like some advice on their skin. They’ve missing quite a few feathers being ex-bat and the skin around their bottoms is really red. I’ve treated them for red mite and worms and it doesn’t seem to be bothering them too much. Is this normal and do I need to do anything?

Thanks in advance!

24517A90-7A00-4927-BFDE-DE349A17FECA.jpeg

Hi. I have six ex battery hens. When I got them they were in a poor state feathering. They shouldn't have worms or mites/lice because of where they've come from. It is 'normal' for them to be in this condition when they are first rescued. It is because of the cramped conditions they live in and feather pecking. Give them 'battles poultry tonic' it promotes feather growth and gives them a boost in general. It will take a couple of months for there feathers to grow back completely but you will notice them start to sprout in the next week or so. Don't apply sudocream or anything to the area just let the feathers start to grow and don't put chicken jumpers on them as they can damage new feather growth. Well done on getting these lovely girls they deserve nothing less than the best care which I'm sure you'll give them. And they will be very appreciative by giving you eggs and digging your garden up!

Feathers are mostly comprised of protein. Dried mealworms (AKA chicken crack) are very high in protein and they will love the treat. Give them a little yogurt for some beneficial live probiotics and a splash of unfiltered apple cider vinegar in their drinking water.

Attachments

• batteryhensbeforeandafter.jpg
    batteryhensbeforeandafter.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom