battery hens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by oliviad51, Oct 3, 2011.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I first put this in the "flock management" section, but I think this spot will work better:) After watching some videos of how the hens in factory/battery farms are treated, I was completely heart broken. There is absolutely no reason any living thing should be treated like that. I was in tears after reading some of how it works.

I want to see if a farm will sell or give some hens to me. I have been searching on this website and found a lot of people that wanted to do the same thing, but most were told to go to their animal shelter or humane society. We do have both near here, but they only work with dogs and cats. I was hoping to email a farm but I can't find any email addresses anywhere online. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks:)

2. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I wanted to adopt some too but ran into the same problems. There are not
    chicken farms near me. I live in east tennessee so we are in the same
    region. If you happen to find anything post it, I will keep checking this
    thread.

I know, it broke my heart when I learned about how bad the battery hens are treated.
    I for the life of me cannot understand how a people can treat an animal that way. It is
    just beyond my comprehension. have you seen some of the videos of some of the adopted
    battery hens feeling grass and experiencing the sun for the first time. So beautiful
    and heart warming. They grow to be beautiful chickens too.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

These places break my heart too. I can barely tolerate my peeps in a huge run. Can't help you but will send you back to the top! [​IMG]

4. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I know what you mean, it brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.

5. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Try looking up the major brand names of battery egg sellers on the internet, you should be able to locate some that way. Then you could email them directly? Good luck! It is disgusting that a civilised society can condone this treatment. Good luck!

6. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    what exactly are battery hens?

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Thats so sad! I feel the same way. [​IMG]

8. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:Commercial egg layers, The ones in factory farms

9. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Ahh. We have a lot of those here, East Texas. We just saw an eighteen wheeler loaded down with them last night when we were on our way home from out of town. They didn't look too hot

10. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    That is so sad. [​IMG] I would try to get the driver to stop so that I could save as many as I could.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by